American Express can't download

Answers

• Robert Kester
    Robert Kester Member ✭✭
    Thanks. :)
  • jk5711
    jk5711 Member ✭✭
    I am seeing this also. Downloading directly from the Amex web site works fine but requires re-matching all downloaded transactions, which also seem strange.
  • Dan4
    Dan4 Member ✭✭
    Same here
  • Jim Hurwitz
    Jim Hurwitz Member ✭✭
    Solution: Deactivating "transaction download" in the "online services" tab of the "Account Details" menu and then reactivating it has fixed the problem for me.
  • Deactivated online setup and reactivated.  It fixed the download problem, however, it got rid of all my category entries since October.  Very frustrating! 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't recommend deactivating and reactivating unless you are sure that when you reactivate you are actually getting the same connection method.  It is possible to go from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect, and that might "seem" to correct the problem, but Express Web Connect has a lot more problems than Direct Connect.  And it has already be stated that AMEX is aware of the problem and thinks they will get it fixed within 24 to 48 hours.  Sometimes the best action is no action.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member ✭✭
    I am running Quicken Premier R31.5 all downloads seem to work except American Express get OL-294-A. I think maybe the install of R31.5 might be the problem, it worked fine until then. I am on windows 10
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member ✭✭
    I have resolved the problem. When I went online with Amex and was going to manually download there was a not re: Quicken. Had to deactivate then reactivate.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    It's still broken this morning. After downloading transactions with Express Web Connect to 2 Amex accounts, I tried again to "Improve connection" - it was on this screen for awhile, after entering my login credentials:

and then, after awhile, I am onto a new error message, OL-294A:

• artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭
    Good morning.  I was hoping to see an overnight break through but no such luck.  I can connect with Express Web Connect but not Direct Connect.  If anyone has any luck please share your procedure.  
  • sabinpa
    sabinpa Member
    There was a note when I tried to download from the AMEX site that said "Because of a recent change, you may need to update your connection between American Express and Quickbooks or Quicken. " In Quicken, I disconnected AMEX from one step update and then set it up again. It now seems to work properly. 
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    I think there is another problem too. I super validate my file weekly, it is clean. I have now duplicated twice this morning, this set of steps related to this Amex account issue, that corrupts the file.

1. Do into Manage Accounts, Deactivate 2 Amex accounts.
    2. Run super Validate - clean
    3. Close Quicken
    4. Open Quicken
    5. Attempt to Activate online accounts for Amex. Enter login credentials. Get OL-293A error, yet it proceeds, and sets up the Accounts as Express Web Connect.
    6. Download from Amex appears to work fine, via Express Web Connect.
    7. Run Super Validate - I get about a dozen of these errors (note that no account amounts/values change):
    EDIT: Note, I did verify it's not the download that corrupts, it's the online activation of the accounts, as subsequent downloads do not corrupt the file:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Wed Jan 20 06:53:10 2021]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The following transaction(s) were linked to account(s) that are no longer in Quicken.  Quicken has changed them to indicate that the account was deleted. Please check them and set the category or destination account correctly. Make sure that this does not duplicate transactions.

<deleted for privacy reasons>
  • andrenj
    andrenj Member ✭✭
    I tried again this morning and got the same error. So I de-activated my account in Quicken and set it up again and it worked.
  • impour77
    impour77 Member
    Still a problem at 5:50 am MST on 1/20, and I don't see this issue listed in the alerts. Can support advise if this is still being looked into?
  • ConnieB
    ConnieB Member ✭✭
    I keep getting Error OL-293-A ("Quicken is unable to update your account because unexpected information was received from your financial error institution").

I have no problems logging into and using AMEX website.. This Quicken error began appearing on 01/18/21.
  • me
    me Member ✭✭
    Still not working ... Following the chain.
  • fnatale1
    fnatale1 Member ✭✭
    Confirming problem still exists for me at 7:00am on 1/20/21. I'm going to wait it out, per recommendation of some of Quicken User colleagues. Hoping Amex has the fix in place in a day or so. Issue began for me on Monday, 1/18/21.
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto.... OL-294-A, Day 2. Patiently waiting for fix.
    Glad I don't use my Amex card that often otherwise I'd be upset with Amex for breaking the connection, bad enough they're boycotting republicans now.
    Quicken User since 1998
  • Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭
    I have had this problem for the last three days
  • Kevin Miller
    Kevin Miller Member ✭✭
    8:13 AM - still not working
  • Thomas Rhodes
    Thomas Rhodes Member ✭✭
    > @andrenj said:
    > I tried again this morning and got the same error. So I de-activated my account in Quicken and set it up again and it worked.

I have direct connect with AMEX. When I tried to de-activate and re-setup, I got a message that I needed to contact AMEX to make this happen. Is this the case anytime there is a direct connect?
  • bmackey55
    bmackey55 Member ✭✭
    Ditto for me. Still an issue today. I also use Freshbooks and it is also showing connection errors with Amex. FYI - Freshbooks uses Yodlee.
  • davidsh
    davidsh Member
    Same for me. Started on the 19th. Reading these comments and I'm in agreement that it's a problem on the Amex side
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    > @jacklevis said:
    > I am having the same issue. I looked at the forum with known issues and it wasn't there. I figured that was a logical place. I will look here next time.

Unfortunately the Quicken team is very slow in adding anything to the "Alerts & Known Product Issues" or "Current On-line Banking Issues" threads making them not very useful for real time information. You would think they would post something in one of those threads as soon as they discover an issue or when a problem goes past one day but for some reason that is apparently not their process.
    I think American Express is working on it since it's on their end, and they expected resolution with 24-48 hours as of yesterday. I don't know anyone's talked to Amex today for updated guidance.
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • mahneedham
    mahneedham Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the updates. In cases like this one (luckily they don't happen too often) I've learned to just wait a few days and try again. Lots of you are doing the heavy lifting for me (I have the same issues with my AMEX account).
  • bobcollie
    bobcollie Member
    Similar issues here. I was able to re-connect, but it is not using direct connect now (account list shows "improve connection").
  • genglish
    genglish Member
    Same issue. Patiently waiting.
  • andrenj
    andrenj Member ✭✭
    I was able to reconnect using Express Web Connect, but now there is an "information" bubble stating that "Your Financial Institution supports an improved connection method. Click here to find out more and get setup."

I'm thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
  • Jeffrey Litvak
    Jeffrey Litvak Member ✭✭
    Same issue. Not so patiently waiting.
  • Unable to download Amex transactions since 01/19/21.  Error OL-293-A. Waiting for fix.
This discussion has been closed.