Importing QFX file

Trying to import from my credit union to quicken. I export one transaction from my checking account. After I select import it shows up in a separate window under checking. When I select "accept added transactions to the register" to add it to the account, it shows up in the register but my account balance goes from +4000 to minus 5,000.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version .... Help --> About Quicken ?
    What is the exact name of the credit union as setup in the Account List ?
    Lastly, why are you downloading a QFX file vs just using One Step Update ?
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    @mikey1" - A few other questions:
    Is this the first time you you have use Web Connect (manual download and import of a QFX file) or is this your normal process?
    If you use Web Connect routinely for this account, how often do you do it?
    When you review your register, do you notice that some transactions are missing or do you see any duplicate transactions?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)
  • First time. No transactions missing but I noticed that the initial deposit of some 6,000 in the account has become a debit of 6,000.
  • Boatnmaniac
    mikey1 said:
    First time. No transactions missing but I noticed that the initial deposit of some 6,000 in the account has become a debit of 6,000.
    Would you be able to take a screen shot of your account register and post it here?  Sometimes a visualization is worth a thousand words in helping others to understand what yourare seeing and then be able to provide a possible solution to it.
    To do this, edit the screenshot to crop, remove or blur out any confidential information and then save to a folder or your desktop.  Then you will be able to click and drag it into your next response post here.
  • I've decided this is more trouble than it's worth. Took me a couple hours to get the correct backup file. Thanks for the replys.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We asked a couple of the usual Q&A - and nada - oh well....
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    It was very likely the common issue encountered when first changing an account from manual to online services:  Downloading of the WC data file opening balance into the manual account which does not match the opening balance in the Quicken account register.  Usually,simply deleting that downloaded opening balance transaction fixes the issue and then everything in the register balances out.  Subsequent WC downloads do not encounter this issue since Quicken now has a download record recorded, something that did not exist for that 1st WC download.
  • I'm not switching from manual to online services, I only downloaded one transaction to my computer and then tried to import it to quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mikey1 said:
    I'm not switching from manual to online services, I only downloaded one transaction to my computer and then tried to import it to quicken.
    Then there is a misunderstanding here about importing QFX files.
    The moment you import one, Quicken considers that a switch to "online".
    And as such one of the first things it is going to do besides importing the transactions is try to set the opening balance to what it believes it should be based on the information it gets from the financial institution in that QFX file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mikey1
    mikey1 Member
    Accepted Answer
    That explains it!
  • Boatnmaniac
    @mikey - As stated above, delete that new online balance transaction and your account register should again have the right balance.
    Since the Web Connect online service is set up, future QFX file downloads should not cause this same issue to pop up again.
  • I'm trying to import from a CSV file and I'm told that no transactions are found in the file. It's contents are:

"S0080 CHECKING",2021-01-20,"WITHDRAWAL BILL PAYMENT BILL PAID-CITY OF SAN DIEGO WA CONF #280",,"Debit",160.53
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 22
    Quicken does not support import of transactions data from CSV files.  Quicken CSV file import support is limited to address books and securities prices.
    You might want to read this support article about importing data into Quicken: How do I import data into Quicken for Windows? [Support Article]
    The best method for importing data from Financial Institutions (FIs) is QFX but not all FIs support QFX.
    Another method that can be used to import transactions data from FIs is QIF but you will need to modify the QIF file a little in order to do so.  This modification can be done manually in Notepad or with a program that will do it:
    You also need to know that while modified QIF files can be imported you will lose some of the Quicken functionality (like auto categorizing, transaction matching and transfer identification) that we get with QFX file imports.  But QIF is a good option with FIs that do not support QFX file export.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikey1 said:
    I'm trying to import from a CSV file and I'm told that no transactions are found in the file. It's contents are:

"S0080 CHECKING",2021-01-20,"WITHDRAWAL BILL PAYMENT BILL PAID-CITY OF SAN DIEGO WA CONF #280",,"Debit",160.53

ImportQIF also supports CSV. QuicknPerlWiz - Use ImportQIF to import transactions into Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mikey1 said:
    I'm trying to import from a CSV file and I'm told that no transactions are found in the file. It's contents are:

ImportQIF also supports CSV. QuicknPerlWiz - Use ImportQIF to import transactions into Quicken
    Please note that this is the same program as given in this link:
    Boatnmaniac said:
    This old FAQ probably needs some updating, but I can't edit it.  For instance ImportQIF is now completely free and has many more features.  Some of the new features were put in to help with the lack of processing done for importing QIF files in Quicken Subscription.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mark MN
    Mark MN Member
    I usually manually download QFX files into Quicken. Back in February it worked fine. Now when I download from Wells Fargo or others, it doesn't automatically upload into the account. And I can't manually import either. I select the QFX file from my downloads folder and try to import. Nothing happens. Any ideas?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Mark MN said:
    I usually manually download QFX files into Quicken. Back in February it worked fine. Now when I download from Wells Fargo or others, it doesn't automatically upload into the account. And I can't manually import either. I select the QFX file from my downloads folder and try to import. Nothing happens. Any ideas?
    This happens with all your accounts and Financial Institutions (FIs)?  Is your subscription still active?  You can quickly check at Help > About Quicken or go to your online Quicken.com account.
  • moxiegm
    moxiegm Member ✭✭
    For the last 2 weeks I've been using the qfx format download from PNC Bank while they try and fix my direct connect access . Last week, the manual download stopped opening in quicken. I've tried a manual import and nothing happens. I've examined the qfx file and there are transactions as well as the correct account info in the file. I'm using Quicken premiere v33.19 on w10 with a valid subscription. Quicken won't even get to the point where I could create a new account to check and see if the PNC account info had become corrupted in my quicken data file. There have been a couple of quick updates to quicken since the download was last working. I've been using quicken since the DOS days so I'm pretty familiar with options and updates.