Remember last security during investment entry (4 merged votes)

Temp2311
Temp2311 Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Investments (Windows)
I have to type in a lot of manual investment entries due to my 401k provider, MassMutual, not having any Quicken integration or download options. It would be extremely helpful if the transaction entry for buy, sell, re-invest, etc, would retain the last "security name" when enter/new is selected.
8 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a very long time, Quicken did provide the last security when we selected Enter/New.  A few years ago, a change was introduced to improve the algorithm used to select the security from the pull-down menu.  As implemented, after we selected Enter/New, the security pull-down menu remained filtered.  This meant, to select a different security, users needed to use their keyboard to reset the menu (for example, enter a backspace).  This apparently upset enough users to motivate Quicken to reset the pull-down menu for all of us.
  • ejborzo1
    ejborzo1 Member
    edited August 2021
    if entering quarterly info, why must you re-enter the security name each time you post a new monthly entry?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you're entering information in the window that comes up when you click the "Enter Transactions" button.
    It used to work the way that you want it to work, until something changed and now you get an empty "Security name" box after each click on the "Enter/New" button.
    There's arguments pro and con for each way of doing things.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom Young said:
    I assume you're entering information in the window that comes up when you click the "Enter Transactions" button.
    It used to work the way that you want it to work, until something changed and now you get an empty "Security name" box after each click on the "Enter/New" button.
    There's arguments pro and con for each way of doing things.

Oh, really? Who came up with that brilliant idea and what's the justification for making life more miserable for us?
    OK, so I must admit I don't do much stock trading any more and I only just noticed it when I saw this discussion.
    IMHO, the Security Name field should retain the last used security name when the current transaction is entered using the "Enter/New" button, to help with entering multiple transactions for the same security.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Vote on Ideas!

A Community Moderator changed this discussion to an Idea.
    Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers for consideration.

Everyone, including the person who initiated this discussion …
    If you would like to see this change made in a hopefully not too distant future version of Quicken please don't forget to vote on it. Locate the big yellow box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.

Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes from black to grey when you have registered your vote.
    Adding extra comments helps, but does not automatically increment the vote count.

Every vote counts!

For additional information about idea posts please read  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community#latest

• Temp2311
    Temp2311 Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > For a very long time, Quicken did provide the last security when we selected Enter/New.  A few years ago, a change was introduced to improve the algorithm used to select the security from the pull-down menu.  As implemented, after we selected Enter/New, the security pull-down menu remained filtered.  This meant, to select a different security, users needed to use their keyboard to reset the menu (for example, enter a backspace).  This apparently upset enough users to motivate Quicken to reset the pull-down menu for all of us.

That's very disappointing as this continues to be a very frustrating problem to deal with. How about a configuration option for us to select the behavior we want from this field?
  • Temp2311
    Temp2311 Member ✭✭
    I posted for this same idea earlier this year... the comment on that thread was that the community asked for it to be changed to the current behavior because users didn't want to have to hit the backspace to clear the field to type a new security. That's a significantly smaller issue to deal with - including development making the field value highlighted if you tab into it and start typing for a new value. It would be interesting to see that thread and how many "votes" it took to make that change. I think there's a better compromise here than what is currently implemented.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly I don't think the explanation that @Sherlock gave is correct.  If it is then it was a complaint given directly to Quicken Support and never mentioned on this forum, which seems unlikely (but things like that do happen, not to mention Quicken Inc itself comes up with "new ideas").

The change happened when they changed the search for security system.  I would bet the sequence is more like they gutted the code and the "remembering of the security name" code got tossed out with the old security selection code, and they really didn't even think about it.  But once they are done changing things like this they have a tendency not to want to go back and fix such things.

The real request wasn't to remove the security name before the next entry, it was to change the searching of the security "name" to include searching using the security symbol.  And that you can find a lot of support in the forum for.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Chris_QPW said:
    Frankly I don't think the explanation that @Sherlock gave is correct.  If it is then it was a complaint given directly to Quicken Support and never mentioned on this forum, which seems unlikely (but things like that do happen, not to mention Quicken Inc itself comes up with "new ideas").

The change happened when they changed the search for security system.  I would bet the sequence is more like they gutted the code and the "remembering of the security name" code got tossed out with the old security selection code, and they really didn't even think about it.  But once they are done changing things like this they have a tendency not to want to go back and fix such things.

The real request wasn't to remove the security name before the next entry, it was to change the searching of the security "name" to include searching using the security symbol.  And that you can find a lot of support in the forum for.
    @Chris_QPW I remember the issue clearly as I was disappointed by Quicken's decision.

The change to improve the security selection algorithm was introduced in R4.6 December 2017.  The fix that cleared the previous security was provided in R12.15 September 2018.  There were many posts discussing the issue in the previous forum.  I've located three in this forum.  There may be more.  Hopefully they may jog your memory.

This idea appears to be a duplicate of:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7796711/entering-transactions-no-longer-retain-security-name-in-q-2018-r12-15

Here's a discussion on the topic that hasn't been archived:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7755753/entering-investment-transaction-one-at-a-time

This discussion on the topic is currently archived: 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7754367/enter-new-transaction

• Temp2311
    Temp2311 Member ✭✭
    the comments are helpful...now we just need Quicken to fix it ;)