Investment account screen redraws on hi-res monitor

gmk3
gmk3 Member ✭✭
On hi-res monitors (HD dimensions 1920x1080 with 125% scaling), there are still numerous screen display problems that haven't been resolved. When opening the investment account, the screen displays twice, once overlaying the windows status bar, and once to redisplay above it. When one-step update is open overlaying an investment account, the screen flashes between black and white behind it with each screen update. Additionally, the "X" in the upper right moves to the upper left corner of the screen. If you do a mouse click anywhere on the screen when the screen draw is in progress, the program closes with no error message of any type. Only investment accounts are affected.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @gmk3,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, I recommend you try overriding the scaling for Quicken by following the steps below. Please, make sure Quicken is not open and running while performing these steps.
    1. Right-click the Quicken icon on your desktop and select Open file location.
    2. Right-click the qw.exe file and select Properties.
    3. Select the Compatibility tab.
    4. Click Change high DPI settings.
    5. Check the box for Override high DPI scaling behavior and set the Scaling performed by to Application.
    6. Click OK.
    You can also try changing other settings in the Compatibility tab:

Before attempting these steps, be sure to make note of the settings you currently have selected. 

While in the Compatibility tab mentioned in the steps above, try unchecking all the boxes. If this doesn't resolve the issue, click the Change high DPI settings button and uncheck the boxes on that screen. 

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • gmk3
    gmk3 Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Quicken version is R31.6 (windows). The 6 steps above describe the compatibility settings I'm currently using and that result in the behavior I described. Have previously tried almost every other permutation. Unchecking all boxes results in a fuzzy font that renders numbers almost unreadable.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    Hello @gmk3

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you have not done so already, I would take a moment to review the previous discussion available here.

If the usual steps do not resolve the issue, unfortunately, high-resolution monitors are not fully supported at this time. There are more details regarding his in the previous discussion.

I hope this helps to clarify, although I apologize for not having better news.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing to understand about this problem is that you aren't on a hi-resolution monitor. 1920x1080 is a very "standard resolution" monitor.

What you are facing is some kind Windows/Quicken scaling problem.

I note that you are using Windows 125% scaling.
    Quicken requires 1024x768 at 100%.
    So at 125% it requires: 1280x960 (multiple the numbers by 1.25), so it should be OK.
    That is provided you aren't trying to use Large Fonts too.
    Large Font are Quicken doing scaling.
    The requirement for Large Fonts at 100% is 1280x1024, so at 125% you need:
    1600x1280, which as you can see is much more than the 1080 you have.

Even with this setup in my testing "most" things fit, but certainly not the "fixed sized" One Step Update dialog.
    Here is what that configuration looks like on my computer.

Maybe if you posted a screenshot of what your problem looks like maybe that might help.  Be sure to blank out anything personal.  It might be something completely different.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • gmk3
    gmk3 Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Since the effects are transient, it's really hard to post exactly what I see. It would take capturing the screen as a video and would be impossible to select out the private info. I am attaching a static screenshot. There are no large or non-standard fonts in use. There are 3 different effects:
    1) when an investment account is opened, the screen redraws twice, once covering the full screen dimensions, including the status bar at the bottom. On that screen draw, the fonts are out of whack with some horizontal lines doubled and darker than others. Any mouse click on the screen during this period will cause the program to immediately close with no error message and no abnormal termination event logged. About a second later, the screen redraws again, this time above the windows status bar and all fonts are as expected. This occurs only on investment accounts, and the process repeats every time a transaction is entered or edited.
    2) occasionally, the window resizing buttons that are normally in the upper right (max, min and close) move from the upper right to the upper left. Minimizing the window and re-maximizing it restores the correct positioning.
    3) when executing a one-step update with an investment account open, the area of the screen behind the update overlay (which is dimmed), flashes several times from black to white and then redraws with the correct content. This only occurs when an investment account is open in the background.

As indicated, I'm at 1920x1080 with 125% scaling. Moving to anything else would take me to something other than the "recommended" settings for my laptop screen. I should mention, too, that I also occasionally copy the file to another old laptop which is 1366x768 with 100% scaling. I never see any of the issues there. The use on that laptop is for reference only and I never copy the file back to the primary machine.

Item 2 isn't repeatable, but I'll post a screenshot of it next time it occurs.

It's probably worth saying as well that this transaction file has been in use since version 3.0 for DOS, early 1989. It's been handed off from version to version since that time. I do run check and repair periodically, but if there's any accumulated internal corruption that the repair process doesn't fix, it's probably still in there.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK I didn't understand before that the effects are transient.  Even if you could capture a video, this forum wouldn't allow you to post it.

#1 and #2 seem extremely strange.  It reminds me of one reported where everything was enlarged tremendously.  I'm not sure what is going on here, only a guess would be something to do with the graphics driver/GPU.

For #3 I have some ideas about that, and this has been reported more than once.

What Quicken Inc has done is create a "fake" window so that they can put those extra controls like the search box in the upper right.  The standard Windows window frames do no allow for having controls there.  So it is basically a windows frame where the inside is all black.  Normally you don't see this because the "inside Quicken" with all the rest of Quicken is painted over it.  But if Quicken gets really busy that repainting of the "inside Quicken" can be delayed and you see the black window below it.

You say that you are running One Step Update while looking at an investment account.  This is one of the worst use cases for Quicken.

First off updating of investments between the complicated GUI controls and the fact that the data is much more complicated than is in a regular register, and on top of that they seem to be re-computing the data whenever it is refreshed.  This all adds up to very slow refresh times.

Then we add in the fact that lot of part of Quicken are asked to refresh whenever the data changes especially if they are visible.

Well One Step Update, updates that data, which in turn triggers refreshes all over Quicken.

So it is a "best practice" to be on a "view" that takes the least amount of time to update while doing One Step Update.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/