Investment changes are messing up my budget!

Earlier in the year, I exchanged one investment in an account for another.  In the transactions register (downloaded from the institution) for that account, it appears as the sale of 1 investment and the purchase of another for exactly the same cash amount on the same day.  The "cash" went through my "cash" account at the investment company.  It is the same cash account from which my automatic contributions are made.

My budget "sees" the purchase of the second investment but not the sale of the first, so it looks like I am way over-spent in that account for the month (and year).  If the budget would "see" the income from the sale of the first investment as well as the purchase of the second, then all would be good.  I cannot exclude that account from the budget because I need to track my automatic investments as part of my budget.  

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you are tracking the cash in a separate register, you should be able to either include the transfer to the budgeted account from the investment account.  Otherwise, you may include the hidden _RlzdGain income category in the budget.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you are tracking the cash in a separate register, you should be able to either include the transfer to the budgeted account from the investment account.  Otherwise, you may include the hidden _RlzdGain income category in the budget.
  • miata_driver
    miata_driver Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, adding _RlzdGain did not make any change. However, when I added transfers to/from the same cash account in both the income and expense categories, now I am able to account for both sale and purchase and bring the month within budget. It worked but definitely was not the solution I would have hoped for from such a well-supported product as Quicken.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you could describe in more detail how your Accounts in Quicken are set up and how you've set up your budget? 
    It sounds to me like you've set up your budget to include transfers from the cash Account to show up as some sort of expense because of the "contributions"(?), some line in the Expenses section that reads on a report like "TO [Account Name], and it's picked up the outflow for the purchase?