Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Last online update created duplicate accounts

Before my online account update launched, Quicken offered one of its program updates. I accepted.
The account update resulted in duplicates of my accounts. Don't need this. What happened, and how can this be corrected?

Comments

• Hello @cwg39

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd that it duplicated one of the accounts you should be able to just delete the duplicate account but make sure you do delete that one rather than the main one by checking how far back transactions go. The main account should have more history unless this is your first time connecting. I would also double check to make sure your transactions are correct as well. 

Once you get the chance let us know how it goes and also try another one step update and see if the issue persists. If it does please let us know and we'll see what we can do next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• tmRoth
    tmRoth Member ✭✭
    Same thing just happened to me - 15 of my accounts were duplicated, but with no transactions. The new empty accounts have duplicated names but with a "2" at the end. For example, in addition to 'Checking-Personal' I now have 'Checking-Personal 2'. This happened with most, but not all, checking and credit card accounts, which are categorized as Banking, but none of my Property & Debt or Investment accounts were duplicated.
  • tmRoth
    tmRoth Member ✭✭
    And to make things more interesting, these duplicated accounts cannot be deleted. I right-click on an account and select "Edit/Delete account", click on the "Delete Account" button, type "yes" to confirm, then click OK. I get a popup that warns that I'm about to delete setup information for an online account and I click OK, but that just makes the box go away; I'm still on the Account Details screen that has no details other than the account name. Clicking OK gets rid of the box, but the account remains.

I can hide the accounts from view, but this is ridiculous that Quicken can create new accounts and not let you delete them.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• tmRoth
    tmRoth Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > If you haven't
    > rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so
    > now and then try Quicken again.
    >
    > Still not working?
    >
    > Let's do some
    > "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and
    > updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    >
    > Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    >
    > Troubleshooting
    > 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

I tried everything in that troubleshooting post. Validation and Super validation found no errors. The duplicated accounts are still there and still cannot be deleted. The last automatic backup was done 3 weeks ago - I thought weeklies were being done, but that didn't happen - so I'm hesitant to try to recreate 3 weeks of entries. I guess I'll just have go through all the duplicated accounts and hide them individually.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's make sure you're never caught without a recent backup of your data file again.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!