R31.6 - Quicken not starting on QDF file, Windows is trying to reinstall.

kpherzog
kpherzog Member ✭✭
Quicken version R30.21.. Quicken attempts to install when opening an associated QDF file. Running Quicken directly works correctly, and automatically opens the QDF file. This behavior just started this morning, Jan 23. No recent updates to Quicken or Windows 10.

Answers

  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • kpherzog
    kpherzog Member ✭✭
    My problem is with QDF files, not QFX.
  • kpherzog
    kpherzog Member ✭✭
    My problem is with QDF files, not QFX.
    I am in fact running Quicken version R30.21 Build 27.1.30.21.
    Windows Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    kpherzog said:
    My problem is with QDF files, not QFX.
    I am in fact running Quicken version R30.21 Build 27.1.30.21.
    Windows Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    It is a similar/same problem, the association of the Quicken file types (QDF, QDF-Backup, QFX) to open with Quicken was wiped out by a failed install.  As such opening these files in File Explorer/Web Browser opens in Internet Explorer instead of Quicken.

    To workaround it, start Quicken and open the data file from there.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Lynnieg
    Lynnieg Member
    What happened to my Quicken program? I hadn't used it since 12/18/2020 and when I tried to open it, it isn't showing up on my computer? Where did it go?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Lynnieg said:
    What happened to my Quicken program? I hadn't used it since 12/18/2020 and when I tried to open it, it isn't showing up on my computer? Where did it go?
    Don't know, but you can install it by going to quicken.com and logging into your account and downloading and installing Quicken.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    kpherzog said:
    My problem is with QDF files, not QFX.
    I am in fact running Quicken version R30.21 Build 27.1.30.21.
    Windows Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    You should be able to reset the file type association by right-clicking on the file, select Open With...,  Quicken, and check Always use this app....  If Quicken doesn't appear as an app, select More Apps and Look for another app on this PC, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken and select qw.exe.
  • kpherzog
    kpherzog Member ✭✭
    That does not work. The QDF files were still associated with Quicken. I associated them with a bogus program, then re-associated them with Quicken. The problem remains.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    kpherzog said:
    That does not work. The QDF files were still associated with Quicken. I associated them with a bogus program, then re-associated them with Quicken. The problem remains.
    Then I suspect the Quicken installation is corrupt and I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update to R30.21.   If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the R30.21 Mondo Patch: https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.30.21MPatch.EXE
  • I am completely unable to open or use Quicken. I'm on 31.6, and seeing there are issues. Their chat and phone options are not available until MONDAY. What the heck? I've never in decades of using Quicken not been able to get into my data until tonight. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, even put it on another computer. Tried opening older backups even. Nothing. Literally a complete "white screen of death" I'll call it that eventually if I click on the screen ends in the program not responding. Can't believe I'm completely kept from my data because of a bad update on their part - and no one around in support to help. I can't even download a previous version anywhere! Come on, Quicken! This isn't cool.
  • TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    kpherzog said:
    Quicken version R30.21.. Quicken attempts to install when opening an associated QDF file. Running Quicken directly works correctly, and automatically opens the QDF file. This behavior just started this morning, Jan 23. No recent updates to Quicken or Windows 10.
    This is exactly what happened in my case with R30.21 when I tried to begin using Lifetime Planner yesterday Jan 23.  And no, there was no failed install of R31.x that had happened prior to that.  I never allow Quicken to auto-update and Windows UAC is always turned on on my machine.