Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Illegal Operation message impeding Cloud Synch

I have five or six transactions (legitimate) that are categorized as "illegal operations" which impede me doing cloud synch. Why does this happen, and how can I correct this situation? BTW, the support folks at Quicken have NEVER answered my emails on this question. Thank you.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you reset your cloud data: select Edit > Preferences...Mobile & Web, and Reset your cloud data

If the issue persists, I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

After deleting the cloud account, you do need to open the original Quicken file and sync for the accounts to be available on the web or through the mobile app.  The initial sync may take some time to complete.

If the issue continues to persist, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

• Eagle
    Eagle Member ✭✭
    Pardone the intrusion Sherlock ...

This has been a problem for me for some time. I wonder if I could get some clarification on some of the steps that you have outlined.
    I have reset the cloud data file several times. Each time it comes back with a few of the illegal operation messages.
    So, that approach is not working.
    So, on to the create a new test Q file for the next part.
    I'm not sure how to do this.
    The first option basically gives me a copy of my regular Q file.
    The second option says create a new account.
    The attachment shows that ...

And your comment ...
    ..... you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) WITHOUT ANY ACCOUNTS, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file ........

So, what kind of new test Q account do I create and how to do that, no accounts?
    And when I get that created, how do I do the delete the original Q file cloud account?
    Thanks for listening and your willingness to help out.
    Bob
    Thanks for listening ...
    Bob
    Win10 Home
    Quicken 2020 Subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagle said:
    Pardone the intrusion Sherlock ...

This has been a problem for me for some time. I wonder if I could get some clarification on some of the steps that you have outlined.
    I have reset the cloud data file several times. Each time it comes back with a few of the illegal operation messages.
    So, that approach is not working.
    So, on to the create a new test Q file for the next part.
    I'm not sure how to do this.
    The first option basically gives me a copy of my regular Q file.
    The second option says create a new account.
    The attachment shows that ...

And your comment ...
    ..... you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) WITHOUT ANY ACCOUNTS, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file ........

So, what kind of new test Q account do I create and how to do that, no accounts?
    And when I get that created, how do I do the delete the original Q file cloud account?
    Thanks for listening and your willingness to help out.
    Bob
    To create a new Quicken file without any accounts, select File > New Quicken File..., press Enter, enter a name, press Enter.  After Quicken creates the file, Quicken will prompt for a name for the new cloud account to associate with the new file.  If you do not want to enable sync at this time, choose Don't use mobile & web.  After selecting NextQuicken should prompt to add an account.  After you select Add Account, select Cancel and you will have created a new Quicken file without any accounts.

To use a Quicken file to access the list of cloud accounts associated with the same Quicken ID, the Quicken file needs to have Sync enabled: select Edit > Preferences...

To apply the change, select OK.

To access the list of cloud accounts associated with the Quicken ID: select Edit > Preferences...

You should be able to select and delete every cloud account except the one with the asterisk because it is associated with the Quicken file you currently have open.