Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Is Bill Reminder "Auto enter" feature is broken?

Adding a Bill Reminder (Scheduled or Repeating online) and selecting "Auto Enter 3 (or any value) days in advance" places a Non-Editable transaction into the register. You can "Skip" or "Edit" or "Delete" the transaction. However, it seems you cannot pay the transaction!

So what exactly is the purpose of such a transaction? Perhaps it was meant only for EFT or Automatic debits (withdrawals) from your account that are performed by the biller (e.g. someone like the phone or credit card company that performs an ACH or other method of extracting money from your account).

What I want to do is Send this transaction to my bank as an online payment, just as I typically do when I write checks and "use Online Bill Pay". Didn't this work in the past?

For those with similar goals, I will share my workaround. This requires a a couple of extra steps.
1. When configuring the Bill Reminder, DO NOT select the option to "automatically enter the transaction in the register. Instead use the "Remind me" option.
2. Each time you start quicken and view the register:
a. Look for the Bill and Income Reminders list. This list is located at the bottom of the register, next to the Downloaded Transactions list.
3. For each "Upcoming" scheduled transaction, Double click to open, edit and enter the transaction into the register.
4. The scheduled transaction will now print or send with your normal payment workflow.

For me, this is quite frustrating to have to do all this work. With 20 bills per month that's a lot of extra time. Quicken should just provide the ability to AUTOMATICALLY ENTER the transaction and when I click online, send the transaction (or print it). Most of the time I do not have to change any of the values!

Perhaps someone in the Community can shed some light on whether there is a better approach. The goal is to enter and pay periodic (monthly, quarterly, yearly) recurring bills (sometimes having increased payment amounts) and have them auto-appear in the check register so that all that is needed is an online update.

For those interested, I do NOT wish to use the Quicken's service to pay bills or write checks, since my bank does all that for me.

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize for the frustration that this has caused.

There is a similar issue in a previous discussion available here.  This has been reported as a bug. Does this post accurately describe the issues you all have been experiencing?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review the built-in documentation on the subject: press F1

• Joyce Tripp
    Joyce Tripp Member
    It is broken. It has always automatically entered my bill reminders that are set up to automatically enter. Even in the instructions it states they will automatically enter. I thought I was going senile. I have used quicken for over 20 years and now I have to go in and enter them manually.
  • danlapin
    danlapin Member ✭✭
    Yes i notice as well. I hope quicken will fix this issue fast
  • ken_atl
    ken_atl Member ✭✭
    Yes, it is quite broken. Very disappointing. And, on my Quicken (Starter Ed.) F1 provides nothing but a blank, disabled page.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize for the frustration that this has caused.

There is a similar issue in a previous discussion available here.  This has been reported as a bug. Does this post accurately describe the issues you all have been experiencing?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • ken_atl
    ken_atl Member ✭✭
    Yes, the discussion you linked to describes my problem. Not the issue with downloaded transactions failing to enter automatically, but simply transactions scheduled to enter automatically (as in this comment):

frankmazz51 Member ✭September 2020
    After the most recent update (R28.24 - Build 27.1.28.24) none of my scheduled transactions set for Auto entry are getting entered into registers. This has happened at least twice over the last ten days. I can't find anything (preferences) that looks like it may have been changed. Anyone having similar? Any ideas of what to look for? Thanks. ~fm
  • DBJashek
    DBJashek Member
    No issues with downloaded transactions.

Issue = scheduled Reminder transactions do not automatically update to register.

Auto add worked well until today, 2/4/2021. Noticed with transaction dates of 3/1/2021. Issue may have started around 1/27/2021 - transactions with 35 day prior add, stopped adding for transactions effective 3/1/2021.

Product = Quicken Deluxe, year 2020 v. R31.8, build 27.1.31.8
This discussion has been closed.