Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quick Pay, Check Pay, and Bill Manager setup reverted with last Quicken update

I started Quicken for Windows after an update to version R30.21, build 27.1.30.21, and now the Bill Manager options for Quick Pay and Check Pay are gone. There is also a Quick Pay payment that is still in the "Processing" state even though it has cleared the bank.

The Account Details window for the payment account now shows that Online Bill Pay is no longer enabled, and there is an option to "Set up Bill Manager" which I have already done for this account. It seems to have been reset somehow with the latest update to Quicken.

Anybody have any idea how to resolve this situation? I've been advised NOT to go through the set up for Bill Manager again and instead report this problem to the Community.

Comments

• Hello @markhood

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was wondering here what biller is exactly is having the issue. Also has this been an ongoing thing with having to setup bill manager or was this the first time it has happened? Does the bill say processing in the register or in the bills and income tab. 

Once we have some more information we'll be able to take a deeper look to see what we're able to find out. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    Thanks @"Quicken Francisco" for the reply.

All Quick Pay and Check Pay billers have the issue. In Bill Manager there is no longer a way to pay via Quick Pay or Check Pay, and the payment account is no longer set up for Bill Manager.

The billers are Chase, PG&E, Recology Sunset Scavenger, and San Francisco Water Power Sewer (for Quick Pay), and GC Pivotal LLC (for Check Pay).

This is the first time this has happened. I've been using Bill Manager since Bill Pay was decommissioned.

In the payment account register there is Quick Pay payment to Recology Sunset Scavenger that I had previously scheduled for 1/14/2021 -- it is in the "Scheduled" state (from the "Check #" column). In the Bill & Income tab it is in the "Processing (Quick Pay)" state (from the "Last Payment" column).

The bank my payment account is associated with has already processed and deducted the payment to Recology Sunset Scavenger.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @markhood

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

If you find that you are needing to re-enable the Quicken Bill manager-- this is typically caused by restoring a backup or copying the data file.

Do you recall if you performed either of these actions recently? 

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    Thank you @Quicken_Tyka, that's an interesting bit of information. I did indeed restore a earlier backup recently. I wanted to see how I organized some transactions in the past. Once I got that information, I restored my Quicken file back to my most recent backup. I worked with the file a bit more and didn't notice any issues right away though.

Assuming this is the issue, would re-enabling Bill Manager likely be the best course of action at this point?

This issue seems very much like the issue encountered by @Bobcxtc in the thread at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883935/quick-pay-check-pay-have-disappeared-from-my-bank-register.

But in that case, there was more to the fix than just re-enabling Bill Manager, and I'm not sure how to resolve the payment that is stuck in the "Processing" state. Can you advise me? Thanks!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Hello @markhood

Thank you for the response, to answer your question, yes I would move forward with enabling Quicken Bill Manager. It is expected behavior that restoring a backup with disconnect the Quicken Bill Manager from the file.

Once Quicken Bill Manager has been enabled, are you able to cancel or delete the processing payment? If not, I would recommend validating the Quicken file.

I would next recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka -- I am unable to enable Quicken Bill Manager because of the payment that is stuck in the "processing" state.

When I try to enable Bill Manager through the Account Details window, I get the error "Routing and account information may not be modified because there are payments processing".

I could not figure out a way to cancel or delete the payment in the "processing" state, so I deleted the biller, which got rid of the payment in the Bill Manager view. But I am still unable to enable Bill Manager and I get the same error above.

I've also tried validating the Quicken file, to no effect.

As stated previously, this issue seems very much like the issue encountered by @Bobcxtc in the thread at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883935/quick-pay-check-pay-have-disappeared-from-my-bank-register. The tech led @Bobcxtc through a series of steps to restore Bill Manager. Could I please have those instructions?

Thanks.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Hello @markhood

Thank you for the response, in reviewing the previous contact that you have referenced I was unable to determine any "special" steps used to enable bill manager, other than usual steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-set-quick-pay-and-check-pay

May I ask that you next navigate to the Bills & Income tab, select the Gear Icon and choose "Validate Online Billers." I want to see if this clears the message that is causing issues.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka, I went through "Validate Online Billers" and it did find a payment on the server, which I allowed to be deleted.

However, I am still unable to set up Bill Manager. I still get the error "Routing and account information may not be modified because there are payments processing".

The payment still appears as "Scheduled" in the payment account register, and I can't delete it -- I get an error which says that the payment must be cancelled before I can delete it.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    All my payment accounts that I've been using for a year disappeared. When I try to set up Bill Manager from scratch it won't let me because I have payments in process. Support is no help.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Bank Bill Pay cannot be weekend error.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Hello @Terry

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you look in your register in Quicken are you able to see the pending payments for Quicken Bill Manager? If so, are you able to remove the pending payment?

Also, if you have not done so already, I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Hello @markhood

Thank you for the response and the additional details. Have you tried to take a look in the online center for this payment?

If not, please see the steps below and see if you are able to cancel the payment using this method.
    1. From the Quicken Tools menu, choose Online Center.
    2. Select the financial institution from which the payment is drawn, then click the Payments tab.
    3. On the Payments tab, select the payment, and then click Cancel Payment.
    4. When asked if you want to cancel the payment, click Yes.
    5. Click Update/Send to initiate an online session and complete the cancellation.
    Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    Yes I can see them in the register. Unfortunately, some are scheduled to the end of the month. In the past I've deleted and rescheduled quick pays and ended up with duplicate payments.
    The Validate found a damaged reminder and removed it. I seem to get this error occasionally. Thanks, Terry
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka, there is no "Payments" tab in the Online Center for the financial institution where the payment is drawn. I think this makes sense since the whole problem is that Bill Manager is no longer set up for this account after restoring the Quicken file from a backup.

There is "Payments" tab for the old Bill Pay, but no payments on that tab since I switched over to Bill Manager last summer.

I still can't set up Bill Manager for my financial institution since it claims that there payments that need to be processed.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with Tyka on another thread. My scheduled quick pays go to the end of the month so I'd have to wait until then to set to Bill Manger again.

I agree with your comments above re "payments"

It's hard to believe Bill Manager can't fix this for us.

I hope disappearing payment accounts aren't going to be a ongoing thing. Terry
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    The one quick pay I had for an account was sent and cleared on Friday but I'm still unable to enable the account. Same message about still having payments in process although there are none. Terry
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Hello @Terry

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly by phone on Monday for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    Thanks but I've been there twice and they assured me that posting on the community was a form of "escalation" and would resolve my problem. Around and around we go.

To be clear, I can't re-enable 2 payment accounts that somehow disappeared because I have payments pending, I can't cancel payments because they are "in process" (a couple weeks out) and I can't delete them in the register because they have to be canceled first.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    @markhood - Have you had any luck resolving this issue? Terry
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    Hi @Terry, I've had no luck... I got the same response from support on the phone. They told me to escalate the issue in the Community, which is why I posted my initial message on 1/26/2021.

I'm going to try the phone support again. @Bobcxtc was able to get a tech to guide him successfully through the process: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883935/quick-pay-check-pay-have-disappeared-from-my-bank-register
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    Can you see the scheduled payments in your check register that are keeping you from enabling the payment account?
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    @Terry, yes, the scheduled payment is still in the check register and can't be deleted. It is no longer visible in Bill Manager though, since I deleted the associated biller in an attempt to work around the issue.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    I've resolved the issue by changing the word "scheduled" to something else, saving it, and then deleting the transaction while holding down the ctrl and shift keys. This allowed me to reenter the information for the payment account and then reenter the deleted payment information. Good luck.
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    @Terry, I tried the ctrl+shift+D combination and others to try to delete the transaction without any luck.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    @markhood -----and holding ctrl/shift for the messages after delete? I can't remember what they said but I kept holding the ctrl/shift while answering ok or yes to all of them.
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    @Terry -- I can get the message box "Delete the current transaction" with a ctrl+D or right-click > Delete or Edit > Transaction > Delete on the current transaction, but ctrl+shift or ctrl+shift+D has no effect.

I can't click on the "Yes" option on delete confirmation box with ctrl or shift or ctrl+shift -- it just gets ignored. The only action the message box allows is to just click the "Yes" or "No" box without ctrl or shift, and then I get the message that "This payment must be cancelled before you can delete it".
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    Did u change the name in the Check # box from "scheduled" to something else first and save it? I'm afraid that's the only other thing I did to delete the transactions.
  • markhood
    markhood Member ✭✭
    Hi @Terry, yes I did change the check number field so that it was no longer "Scheduled". I am still not able to delete the transaction.

I just noticed another payment still stuck in the "Scheduled" state in my billing account register. I changed it like the other one, and saved it, but I was not able to delete that payment either.

However, I then tried re-enabling the account for Bill Manager, and this time Quicken let me do it without complaining about cancelling the payment first! So it looks like it was that 2nd payment being in the "Scheduled" state that was causing the problem. (It would have been better if Quicken pointed out what payment was the problem in the first place).

Now it looks like Bill Manager is actually set up again, and I'm awaiting the micro-transactions to get Check Pay enabled. I'll see how it goes and report back here.
  • Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭
    @markhood -It would be nice if Quicken new about this. To be honest, I did get this info from support but on the fourth try. I think your good to go now. :)
  • jetskifast
    jetskifast Member
    Every time I restore a backup of my Quicken file. My bill pay accounts become inactive. Have to reverify payment accounts. If I had scheduled payment, have to wait until the scheduled payment is made before the bill payment account can be reverified. Also, the status of payments on the restored Quicken file never changes. Quicken working on this problem?