Automatic Download of Transactions from RBC not working correctly

If I manually download transactions from RBC everything works fine. I used to be able to allow Quicken to automatically download RBC transactions as well. However after an update late last fall, the Quicken automatic downloads screwed things up very badly. So badly, that I turned off automatic updates, so that Quicken wouldn't download automatically, and I instead would trigger the download from my online banking site.

However it happened again yesterday. After spending hours fixing things up, and doing a back up, I opened up Quicken again this morning, and noticed that Automatic updates were turned on again. I have turned them off once more.

So for the problem....

When I'm doing my banking, paying bills, etc... I work in Quicken and have specific payee names I like to use when paying bills and transfering money from one account to another. So for example when I'm in my "Chequing" account, and want to transfer in money from my "Savings" account, I would use a payee for "Savings to Chequing", and then choose my "Savings" account in the Category. This sets up two transactions with the same payee; a deposit transaction into my "Chequing" account (with a category of "Savings"), and a payment transaction in my "Savings" account (with a category of "Chequing"). I have many many transactions set up this way.

When I manually download the actual transactions from my bank, I don't have auto enter turned on. I simply select each downloaded transaction, insure it has matched up with the correct entry in Quicken, and then choose Accept.

Life was good. Until last fall.

Note that manually downloading the transactions from RBC still works fine. This problem arises when Quicken attempts the connection to RBC and triggers the download.

The transfers that I have already entered into Quicken get royally messed up. The Payee names that I had entered (eg. "Savings To Chequing") get replaced with "Transfer". The Category field (that links the transfer to the matching transfer in the other account) is emptied. The reconciliation status is reset to uncleared. About of two weeks worth of transactions from a month or so ago were physically deleted. I did receive a message of some sort, but I didn't understand the implications of it (in other words the message didn't make sense to me). The list of transactions downloaded from the bank still appeared at the bottom of the register.

So my question is, what on earth is happening to the transactions in my register? The download process shouldn't be touching those transactions. Just giving me a list of new transactions to match to stuff I've entered in my Register.

A week or so ago, I had all my registers (12 accounts worth) updated, and instep with the bank. I'd run reconciliations to my statements from December 21.

Last night, Quicken messed things up, and I spent hours manually updating each transaction, reentering transactions that were deleted (but had actually been there before, and Reconciled). My December reconciliations were lost.

This is the second time this has happened to me. It sure would be nice to know what is going on. That, and how automatic update got turned back on, when I had specifically turned it off several months ago to prevent a recurrence of this problem.

I used the automatic update features for years, but I dare not use it anymore until this issue is fixed.

Best Answer

  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @gs_


    Thank you for the response and the details. f you have not done so already, please open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem and to report this issue.

    Please include the version in this report. These reports will be used to investigate and research this issue further.

    Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @scarfinv

    Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

    Can you please confirm the version of Quicken you are currently running? There have been a few reports of syncing causing changes to the transactions.

    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884590/after-the-r30-14-update-one-step-update-overwrites-payees-and-categories-edited

    Can you also confirm if you are syncing for use with the mobile or web application. This is located under edit > preferences > mobile & web. If this is on, I consider disabling this and seeing if this improves the issue.

    Please let me know what you find!

    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • scarfinv
    scarfinv Member
    I am using Year 2020, R28.15, Build: 27.1.28.15, Edition Canada.

    I discovered that Sync was turned on even though I thought I had turned it off. I did check an I had previously deslected all accounts from the syncing process, so I don't think I was actually syncing anything.
  • gs_
    gs_ Member ✭✭✭
    The R28.15 update messed up two things - first the one you reference here, changing valid payee names to "transfer" and clearing out the Category field.

    The second is referenced in another thread and that is that One Step Updates hangs the program. I've turned off the "bank sync" option and then One Step Update seems to work OK.

    R28.15 needs some serious work.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @gs_


    Thank you for the response and the details. f you have not done so already, please open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem and to report this issue.

    Please include the version in this report. These reports will be used to investigate and research this issue further.

    Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.