USAA links to wrong account numbers

I was getting an error message when downloading my USAA accounts.  After checking here, I deactivated all my USAA accounts, went to "add account,"  switched to the "USAA new" option, got my Direct Connect ID and PIN, and pasted them into Quicken.  So far, so good.

But when I went to link my accounts in Quicken to the stuff downloaded from USAA, my checking and savings accounts matched up, but the credit card account numbers from USAA did not match up with the credit cards I have.  It gave me the option to like the correct type of account (VISA and USAA Creditline), but the account numbers did not match the accounts I actually have.

When I first activated the "USAA new" accounts, I didn't notice that the account numbers were wrong and just linked VISA to VISA and Creditline to Creditline.  When Quicken downloaded my USAA accounts the first time after switching over, thins seemed to be working, except that it downloaded my paycheck as a payment rather than a deposit.  When I tried to update accounts again, it said there was an error in downloading USAA accounts, but didn't have the link to see what the error was. 

So I tried deactivating and reactivating again, which is where I noticed that the account numbers were wrong.     I linked the checking and savings accounts (which had the correct account numbers), and didn't link the VISA and Credit line accounts.     Now I can update accounts without getting an error message, but I can't update my USAA VISA and Creditline accounts.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this fixed?  Is this type of problem something USAA is aware of and working on?  (USAA's website directed me to the "chat" feature on their website, but apparently they're swamped and no representatives were available to help.) 

Comments

• JimKaram
    JimKaram Windows Beta Beta
    OK, I finally got most of our USAA accounts reactivated, except the account numbers shown within Quicken do not match the true credit card account numbers.  For example, Quicken reports that they found a USAA credit card ending in xx87xx, when the real account number as reported on the USAA website ends in xx51xx.  Nevertheless, the transactions download and match as appropriate.

Normally I'd ignore this, but Quicken also overwrote the account number in the account details screen.  Who is misreporting these numbers, e.g., all my USAA credit cards have this issue?  I can speculate that this is a side effect of USAA's practice of having two separate numbers reported into the same account, i.e., my spouse's card for this common account has a different number.

USAA swears that these new numbers are not real, but one of you is not handling these properly since the access ID signon changes. 
  • JimKaram
    We've successfully reactivated all our USAA FSB accounts, except that Quicken no longer recognizes my wife's money market account (or USAA is failing to report it).  Online access was working just fine for many years.  Any idea why this particular account is not longer reported?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dollars to donuts it is USAA's fault.  Quicken wouldn't even "know how" to make this kind of mistake.

The proof will be in the OFX logs.  They show exactly what USAA is sending:
    Help -> Log File -> OFX log

This only seems to be a problem with the credit card numbers.  And BTW the account number is one of the main things Quicken uses to determine if this is a new online account or one that it has already linked to.  So every time you do an update that account number will be in the response.

To make it easy to find this entry in the OFX log, update just your USAA accounts, and the searching from the bottom of the OFX log look for:
    ACCTID
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • J. Cowan
    J. Cowan Member ✭✭
    edited January 28
    Never mind.
  • danlapin
    danlapin Member ✭✭
    I get similar, but mine doesn't recognize UTMA account.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29
    [Removed]
    ~~~***~~~
  • Carl M
    Carl M Member
    After following the instructions to disconnect, clear the bank name, and then re-create the connection, not all of my USAA accounts are showing up. It looks like the first 7 (of 9 total) are returned. When trying again from the two that don't show up in the list, they still don't show up. Is there any way to get those other accounts, or do we just have to wait for another patch to come out to fix what should work? As noted elsewhere, transactions also seem to be reversed and now my USAA accounts are completely hosed. Quality has gone down since the divestiture. QA/QC is poorly done. VERY disappointed!
  • VMars
    VMars Member
    Why "never mind"? What was the solution? I have the same question.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report these issues with USAA, although I apologize for any frustration that this has caused.

There is a new update on the USAA alert, available here that contains additional details.

If you are experiencing any of the issues detailed in the alert, please open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem to assist our teams in the investigation.

Please include in the subject, which issue/error you are experiencing.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • After some trial & error, I was able to use the new USAA access credentials for my credit card in Quicken. As others have mentioned, they had to deactivate the account in Quicken, but the trick to reactivation was to search for the "USAA....new" financial institution - by typing in "USAA" and allowing Quicken to find it. This allowed Quicken to find my accounts and reestablish the routine download. I did notice that the "account" number Quicken found was not my credit card number (last four digits). I called USAA today and we verified the "account number" it found is an "internal reference number" used by USAA - it was NOT a change in my credit card account number. We were able to verify this my looking up a recent credit card statement, and there is a very long number just above the "statement closing date". The first portion of that matched the number Quicken "found". It did download my most recent transactions (some of which had already been cleared). Just FYI.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The first portion of that matched the number Quicken "found". 
    I just want to point out Quicken never "finds" any account information.

If the account is setup for Direct Connect, then that "account information" came directly from USAA.

If the account is setup for Express Web Connect, then the "account information" came from Intuit servers contacting USAA web servers and downloading the information using an "agreed method".  That could be as simple as getting it in QFX format to something as complicated as trying to read a web page.

So is the account setup for Direct Connect or Express Web Connect.  You can see at the top of the account or if you do Ctrl+A.
    Signature:
  • AndreabY
    AndreabY Member
    edited January 29
    I set up the new downloading from USAA for my Quicken. It was able to connect correctly to my savings and checking, but not my visa. It is one error code after another. I have tried starting over with this account by "deactivating" it, but that did not help either. I tried requesting another "Access ID and Pin” but am assuming each person gets 1 and reuses this. Correct?
    Also, I have tried to get my husband’s accounts downloaded from USAA into the same Quicken program, with no success. I assumed he needs his own new "Access ID and Pin", but each time I requested it, I get an error code.
    We use the same Quicken program for all our accounts. I have tried to reach technical support by phone at USAA, but the wait times are 1.5 hours and after 20 minutes, it hangs up. Thank you for your help, Andrea Young Thomas Young [phone removed - privacy]
  • BobPollock
    BobPollock Member ✭✭
    I've been a USAA member for 50 years. We went through a similar USAA vs. Quicken failure in late 2014 to Jan 2015. It lasted about a week, as I recall. Now, as then, we're seeing absolutely no transparency from USAA. Nothing. Quicken has offered that new data servers at USAA need new configuration. USAA would never admit to even that.

My advice is to restore your last Quicken backup data file that has not been clusterbomed by your application of premature advice posted on this and perhaps USAA's community forum. (Yesterday Quicken offered a fix - deactivate, remove bank name, search for USAA FSB - "new", etc. - but this morning Quicken reported that "fix" had resulted in some awful data mixups for "some users". USAA is not nearly ready for this new improved server stuff. And I'd bet $100 that not one USAA IT employee was at USAA during the 2014 SNAFU; turnover wipes out institutional history.

Just sit on it for at least a week, downloading your other non-USAA accounts in the meantime. Don't attempt to fix anything until you're seeing that other users are having success.

In the meantime, I am researching online banks; oddly, Consumer Reports lists USAA at the top, so who can we trust?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In the meantime, I am researching online banks; oddly, Consumer Reports lists USAA at the top, so who can we trust?
    Why wouldn't Consumer Reports give them top ratings?
    Is their banking system reliable?
    Is their website feature rich and reliable?
    Is their mobile App feature rich and reliable?
    Does their customer support handle (non Quicken) problems quickly?

I think one thing that Quicken users tend to forget is that they are a drop in the bucket for most financial institutions.  More like a pain in the side I bet!

Financial institution websites and mobile Apps have come a long way since Quicken was introduced and for most people what they provide is fine, and that is their main focus.

In some ways I'm amazed that the financial institutions support Quicken at all.
    Signature:
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    Drat. I just checked the credit card numbers Quicken now has recorded for my USAA credit cards. They're all wrong. I didn't check the numbers when I deactivated/reactivated Online access yesterday. Off to USAA to let them know.
  • Jay P
    Jay P Member ✭✭
    Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours getting my several USAA accounts reactivated with the new Quicken login. I didn't seem to have issues with accounts switching or transactions reversing, but it took a very long time to connect them. What downloaded were reams of transactions that had previously cleared, yet were marked as new, and I had to manually match each one of them. I thought that I was over the trouble, but now find that I can't connect them today; I hope that it's just because USAA is taking action on the issue.

USAA and Discover have worked very well for me in Quicken in the last 13 years. Navy Federal is the worst for me. It's frustrating how clunky Quicken is; still, I begrudgingly admit that I haven't found any other option that makes things any easier; even Simplifi doesn't seem advantageous.
  • JimKaram
    edited January 30
    I tried Quicken_Tyka's suggestion to try to download my missing money market account into a new file.  I did so, and it did not.  One observation is that it is still asking for the old PIN number on an additional screen that appears after you enter the new accessID and access PIN.  However, after a few minutes of the spinning arrow, it comes back saying my login was incorrect.  BTW, I tried both the old and then the new PIN without success.
  • Kim Pulsipher
    Kim Pulsipher Member ✭✭
    When I connected with direct connect it would not allow me to link to existing quicken accounts It created new accounts. I deleted them and am on the phone now to have the direct connect disconnected. I think I will wait a week and see what happens
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report these issues with USAA, although I apologize for any frustration that this has caused.

There is a known issue for USAA, when reactivating accounts, the Add Account window may display a different/alternate account number.  

This is detailed in the recent alert, available here. This is actively being investigated

If you are experiencing this issue or any of the issues detailed in the alert, please open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem to assist our teams in the investigation.

Please include in the subject, which issue/error you are experiencing.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • BobPollock
    BobPollock Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Why wouldn't Consumer Reports give them top ratings? ....
    > In some ways I'm amazed that the financial institutions support Quicken at all.

You may be right. But there surely is a lot of buzz from aggravated Quicken users on USAA's community forum. And as usual, the forum admins are saying "I'm sorry, please call us (to be placed on hold for an hour to speak to someone who is powerless to help with this SNAFU.)"
  • Honeybucket
    Honeybucket Member
    edited February 1
    Updating my USAA accounts to go along witht he new Web Connect. Quicken has connected my checking and credit card accounts, but does not show my Savings account so I cannot do a Web connect for it.
  • Robert Baur
    Robert Baur Member ✭✭
    It appears that the downloaded data is correct for my account but the account number is wrong.
  • Jay P
    Jay P Member ✭✭
    > @"Jay P" said:
    > What downloaded were reams of transactions that had previously cleared, yet were marked as new, and I had to manually match each one of them.

When I posted that a few days ago, I forgot to include that Quicken removed opening balances from some of my USAA accounts, so they were wildly off. I had to dip into a backup file to jot down the numbers and apply them to the updated version. Those opening balances were from a couple of years ago when I started fresh, so I'm not sure why they were even affected.

Today, I had my first reversal in a downloaded USAA transaction. A deposit was registered as a payment. Quicken also tried to match more new transactions to old ones that had already cleared.
  • Kent Kester
    Kent Kester Member ✭✭
    I followed the instructions to deactivate and reactivate my USAA accounts (to include obtaining a Quicken-specific username and PIN from USAA). Of note, while there was no problem linking my USAA checking account and credit card, only one of my savings accounts appeared on the list--an account that I do not track in Quicken. My regular USAA savings account is not listed to link. I rechecked my online USAA accounts--all are accessible from the USAA website and this account was previously connected in Quicken. Please advise.
  • Lucy71
    Lucy71 Member
    My checking account and credit card accounts were successfully connected to USAA but my savings account was not added. How can I correct this?
  • ekajake
    ekajake Member
    I'm in the same boat. Hope they fix it soon. :)
  • Kent Kester
    Kent Kester Member ✭✭
    I followed the instructions to update my USAA account access. I have four accounts with USAA, with three being tracked in Quicken. When I updated my access, one of the accounts that I track in Quicken was missing (not listed in order to link) and the one that I don't track in Quicken was listed. All are visible when I access my USAA accounts online. Any suggestions?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Kent Kester

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report these issues with USAA. I have moved your post to the ongoing discussion regarding your issue.

There is a new update on the USAA alert, available here that contains additional details.

If you are experiencing any of the issues detailed in the alert, please open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem to assist our teams in the investigation.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Kent Kester
    Kent Kester Member ✭✭
    I've not seen anything regarding this problem. Please advise as to any progress related to resolution.
  • whdeane
    whdeane Member
    I had posted previously on another thread with similar/related problems, now about 10 days in (for me). No success talking to USAA after long waits. After roughly 50 years with USAA, the is the first major SNAFU I have had with them. Cannot get the new connection for my one credit card account with them and cycle over and over to entering the new "security version" access id/access PIN. As an aside, tried looking through the OFX log as suggested elsewhere. Is it normal to see messages there from financial institutions that have no relation to me? Example below (I don't have the slightest idea who Abri Crdit Union is or why Quicken would be messaging to/from them in my session):
    <body>
    <ccresp:CCGetInstitutionResponse xmlns:ccresp="http://www.intuit.com/CustomerCentral/Responses">
    <tp_institution_id>5816</tp_institution_id>
    <name>Abri Credit Union</name>
    <status>A</status>
    <routing>S</routing>
    <address_line_1>1350 West Renwick Road</address_line_1>
    <address_line_2/>
    <city_name>Romeoville</city_name>
    <tp_state_code>IL</tp_state_code>
    <postal_no>60446</postal_no>
    <phone_no>815-267-7700</phone_no>
    <email_address>mailto:[email protected]</email_address>
    <url_home_app>https://www.abricu.com/</url_home_app>
    <url_logon_app>https://online.abricu.com/auth/SignIn?wa=wsignin1.0&wtrealm=https://online.abricu.com/banking/&wctx=rm=0&id=passive&ru=/banking/</url_logon_app>
    <special_text>Please enter your User ID and Password required for login.</special_text>
    <discovery>Y</discovery>
    <tp_account_type_class_id>1</tp_account_type_class_id>
    <user1>777</user1>
    <user2/>
    <user3/>
    <user4/>
    <user5/>
    <created_by>DataMigrator</created_by>

Perhaps the problem is not with USAA's security change but in the messaging Quicken is using and how it interprets the bogus responses it is getting back.

Best wishes to all.