Transaction won't stay cleared

Options
JenT
JenT Member
Every time I update my accounts, one transaction reverts to uncleared even though it cleared the bank several months ago. I have to manually mark it as cleared, but it will revert to uncleared after the next update.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @JenT

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

To help me understand what could be causing changes to not be saved in Quicken, may I also ask that you also provide the path to the active data file?

This can be located by holding the "Comand" key on the keyboard and clicking the Q icon on the right-hand side. 

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

Storing the file in a network or cloud drive can cause the behaviors that you have described.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • JenT
    JenT Member
    Options
    Yes, iCloud Drive (Archive).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @JenT  Your live Quicken file should not reside on a cloud storage service like iCloud or Dropbox. Because of the way Quicken addresses its database and the very different ways cloud storage services manage their flow of data between the desktop and the cloud, there are a number of odd behaviors that can result, and in the worst instance, you can on eddy find yourself locked out of your data file because of file permission settings under the hood getting changed. Quicken does not support having the data file in the cloud -- but storing your backups in the cloud is fine, and a sound strategy.

If your file is in iCloud because you store it on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, there's a setting in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive which controls whether the Desktop and Documents folders are stored on iCloud instead of your desktop. You can turn it off it it's on. (You may need to manually copy back some files to your local desktop from iCloud if you turn this feature off.)

The other alternative is to create a place for your Quicken data file that is not on the Desktop or within Documents. Quicken has a default location that's buried several folders deep in a hard-to-get-at location, but you can create something much similar. I suggest using a folder inside your User folder instead. If you open your hard drive at the top level (usually "Macintosh HD") and double-click on Users, and then double-click on your "home" folder (it'll have a little home icon on it), or the name of the user you use if you log in separately to your Mac. In your user folder, you'll see folders for Desktop and documents, along with Applications, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc. Create a folder here for your Quicken data, and move your Quicken data file (s) here. Now you have an easy-to-locate place where your files lives, it will be backed up by Time Machine, but it remains on your hard drive and not in the cloud. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.