Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken for Mac should support the same # of financial institutions as Quicken for Windows

I want to move to Quicken for Mac but my primary bank is only supported in Quicken for Windows. I did some research and confirmed that there IS a difference in online banking support between the two platforms:

Quicken Windows Institution List
https://www.intuit.com/content/dam/intuit/intuitcom/partners/documents/financial-institution/icom-partners-ofx-fi-list-quicken-windows.pdf

Quicken Mac Institution List
https://www.intuit.com/content/dam/intuit/intuitcom/partners/documents/financial-institution/icom-partners-ofx-fi-list-quicken-mac.pdf

Please support the same number of banks on the Mac as are supported on Windows.
4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken will gladly support all financial institutions that want to enable Quicken for their customers -- but the decision is made by the financial institution, not Quicken. Depending on the type of connectivity they choose to offer, it may be no cost for the bank or there may be a fee involved -- but the decision is up to the bank, not Quicken.

So your path for progress here is to reach out to your bank to ask/encourage them to support Quicken Mac. In some cases, the lack of Mac support may be a simple oversight. In some cases, financial institutions don't want to take on additional support for another product/platform. In the old days, a lot of financial institutions didn't support Quicken Mac because it was extra work for a small number of users, but nowadays, so many Windows users have moved to Mac that that shouldn't be a reason any more. In any case, reach out to your bank, try to get to someone in their IT department who has some actual knowledge of their support of Quicken, and press them to provide Mac support. If they say they do, then press them to reach out to their IT contacts at Quicken (actually, it's Intuit's OFX group that handles this) to find out why their institution isn't showing availability for Quicken Mac.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an issue that you need to take up with your bank. Individual banks decide whether to interface with Quicken. It is the banks decision - not Quickens decision.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Bikr
    Bikr Member ✭✭
    Okay, then why doesn't Quicken for Mac use the same API or connection technology as Quicken for Windows?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bikr said:
    Okay, then why doesn't Quicken for Mac use the same API or connection technology as Quicken for Windows?
    It does.  That isn't the point.

Quicken Inc the company can't connect to a financial institution just because the API exists.  They have to have an agreement with that financial institution to do so.

And in that agreement the financial institution is perfectly able to state "I agree Windows, but not Mac".

And actually it isn't even Quicken Inc that the agreement is made with.

Quicken Inc pays Intuit for the service. It is really Intuit that has the agreements with the financial institutions.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bikr
    Bikr Member ✭✭
    What a mess! 🤦‍♂️

I don't know why a bank would care what the OS is, so long as it's using the correct OFX version. In my bank's case, I bet it's just an oversight; they ARE way behind the times. I'll reach out to my bank, but I'm not optimistic. It can be difficult to get specific feedback like this to the correct team.

I'm also not sure why the onus would be on the CUSTOMER to do this? 🤔

If Quicken Inc REALLY wants to improve the Mac app and achieve functional parity with Windows (which they seem to be doing), then THEY should be the ones talking to Intuit and banking partners to reconcile the two. As macOS market share continues to increase, the fewer gaps between the two, the better chance of retaining customers.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bikr said:

If Quicken Inc REALLY wants to improve the Mac app and achieve functional parity with Windows (which they seem to be doing), then THEY should be the ones talking to Intuit and banking partners to reconcile the two. As macOS market share continues to increase, the fewer gaps between the two, the better chance of retaining customers.
    There is are reasons why Quicken Inc pays Intuit for the service.  One of course is the systems to do all this and such, but there is another BIG reason when Quicken Inc isn't going to go an push for every financial institution that is supported on the Windows side, but not on the Mac side.  There are over 15,000 financial institutions on that list. There is no way Quicken Inc has the man power to go through all of them and "push" a given financial institution to change their agreements with Intuit.

And Intuit has never been "proactive" in this role either.
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    @Bikr  Banks may care because their customers will turn to them for support and problems with third-party software like Quicken; it does create additional needs to be able to support their customer base, and not all bank IT and customer service departments want to take on more things to deal with. In some cases, it may require additional servers to handle to connectivity load, and additional IT staff time if there are issues related to the load.

One person reaching out to their bank has little chance of making change, unless it turns out to be an oversight the bank was unaware of. But I've seen a number of cases since I've been a member of this forum where customer pressure/lobbying has resulted in positive changes made by the financial institutions.

Why is the onus on the customer? It's not. But you're the one seeking your bank to make a change. you have standing with your bank to raise the question and to ask them to support you. Quicken/Intuit can't do that, especially in cases where Intuit is charging a fee for the level of connectivity the financial institution.

Finally, Quicken is a small company. (I'd guess under 200 employees, maybe under 150 depending whether some are employees or contracted workers.) They don't have the scale to manage connectivity with more ethane 10,000 financial institutions themselves, which is why it's outsourced to Intuit (which can do it because they are so much larger, and run other products of their own like Mint and QuickBooks). They just don't have the staff to do outreach to and maintain relationships with the many thousands of banks, credit unions, brokerages, credit card companies, lenders, etc. 
  • Bikr
    Bikr Member ✭✭
    I'm sure that's all true, but I still stand by my feature request. In the end, it's up to Quicken to decide what they want to do with the ideas they collect from this sub-forum.
  • jacobs
    @Bikr Your request stands. ;) I and others here were trying to address what you were seeking by providing information about the way the world related to Quicken works. You're free to ask, and no one here is objecting -- just informing you why such a request is unlikely to be actionable by the folks at Quicken who may review these topics. 
  • Bikr
    Bikr Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > just informing you why such a request is unlikely to be actionable by the folks at Quicken who may review these topics. 

That's okay, I've been a Quicken user for decades so I'm used to disappointment! 🤣
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW I think part of this is because of the history.  There was a time, not that long ago where you were talking that there was 1/10 or less Quicken Mac users to Quicken Windows users.  And so it could very well be that a given financial institution wasn't actively trying to block Quicken Mac they just didn't think anything about it.
    Signature: