How do I set the default PayTo for a CreditCard account when reconciling.

So I use Bank of America BillPay via quicken.

When I reconcile a Credit Card and it says "Would you lay to make a payment now...you have a balance of xxxxx". I then select "Online Payment".

It then takes me to the "Write Checks" screen, with the amount all filled out already and the category is set to be a transfer to the correct account.

However, for *some* of my accounts, the proper Payee is already populated in the "Pay to the Order of" section of the check. (this is awesome, paying a credit card is a 3-click operation).....but for some accounts, there is generic text for that account pre-populated which is not an online payee.

I have no idea how some accounts got set correctly and others did not. How do I change this?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JeremyG,

You raise an interesting question.  Can you give us an example of the "generic text" that appears on some checks?  Is it in any way related to the account title (of the account you are reconciling or is it something out of left field?

Thanks.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • JeremyG
    JeremyG Member ✭✭
    edited January 30
    Here is an example in the attached screen shots.

This is right after I reconciled my Discover Card account. The actual Online Payee I want to use is the one named "Discover Card", but it always defaults to just "discover".

Interestingly enough "Discover" isn't even an entry anywhere I can find. So while it is populated by default, if I select a different Payee and then Switch back to "Discover", it prompts me to enter details for a new Payee.

Just above that in the list you see "Citi Cards"....when I reconcile my Costco Credit card, that payee is selected by default every time....but I have no idea WHY.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    My experience has been that the payee name is taken from the account name in Quicken.  I think that is what is happening for you as well - at least for your Discover payment.  If you change the name of the account in Quicken to "Discover Card", I think that will accomplish what you want.

That being said, I am confused by what seems to be happening for your Costco card.  I assume the name of that account is "Costco" or some variation of that.  If the check is printing as "Citi Cards" then obviously it is not coming from the account name.

Have you always had this issue, or did it just start happening?

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -