Frustrated with the extreme slowness of this version of Quicken.

My two decades of data might be the hang-up, but archiving doesn't solve it, and the alleged 'log' file isn't even there. Will I have to delete all my older entries to get any kind of reasonable responsiveness from this turtle?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, Quicken's performance is not noticeably impacted by the size of the Quicken file.  

Please provide a screen capture of the window that appears when you press the Ctrl key and select Help > About Quicken

We're not experiencing any performance issues using Quicken on Windows 10 Build 19402 with an older dual core 2.5 Ghz CPU, 8G RAM using a 750G hard disk drive:

• Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    First, here's the basic tips to improve performance
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-performance-troubleshooting

What are you experiencing? I have 2 decades (450meg file), on i3/16gig/256ssd, and get some sluggishness: 30 seconds to start quicken, OSU takes about 9 minutes, and a 5 second commit time after adding or changing each transaction. 
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • jb-flying-f
    jb-flying-f Member
    Responding to SHERLOCK with pic-data
  • jb-flying-f
    jb-flying-f Member
    Responding to STUDPUP. Experiencing same 30 second and 5 second delays. (what is OSU?)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jb-flying-f
    jb-flying-f Member
    Responding to Greg:... 1. Windows defender doesn't even list Quicken as a choice for access. 2. Using One Drive...... New info: 1. Previously was storing backups on a flash drive, have now moved the files to 'C' and pared it down from 1.3Mb to the last four entries. 2. In accessing app data I note that I've reached 73% app capacity. (Any way to safely expunge at least half of that?)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You're Quicken file is not large but there is an anomaly in the reported available memory.

I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 

If the issue persists, I suggest following the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

See if you can pare out some of the entries in your Memorized Payee List, and turn off "Automatically memorize new payees".  A large (very large in your case) is a well known performance killer.
    By way of reference, I have 18 Memorized payees, and only 1 each of my gas station brand (Renaming Rules can, in the future) reduce "Shell #123" and "Shell #128", etc to just Shell, grocery store brand, etc.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    NotACPA said:

See if you can pare out some of the entries in your Memorized Payee List, and turn off "Automatically memorize new payees".  A large (very large in your case) is a well known performance killer.
    By way of reference, I have 18 Memorized payees, and only 1 each of my gas station brand (Renaming Rules can, in the future) reduce "Shell #123" and "Shell #128", etc to just Shell, grocery store brand, etc.
    @NotACPA:  A large Memorized Payee List is not a well known performance killer no matter how often you repeat it.  By way of reference, we have 4147 Memorized Payees and the Automatically memorize new payees preference is checked.  Note: The Remove memorized payees not used in the last X months preference is not checked.  Perhaps that is your well known performance killer although it should only impact performance once a day.

• Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Responding to STUDPUP. Experiencing same 30 second and 5 second delays. (what is OSU?)
    OSU One Step Update, to connect to all the banks.
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • jb-flying-f
    jb-flying-f Member
    BIG IMPROVEMENT ACHIEVED ! Many thanks to all who pitched in to school me on this issue. Several suggestions seemed to help in minor ways, but the real fix was SHERLOCK'S idea to uninstall and re-install using the proper Quicken guide. I learned a lot with this issue here. Thanks to all again. Bye.