Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Annual Fees

I do not use Quicken online. Why the yearly fee?

Best Answer

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You can use Quicken 2016 or 2017 without the ads. Look for a copy from a legitimate retailer.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is how you pay for their development and support of Quicken, and its features.

At any given time for any given user they are most likely not using all the features that Quicken provides.  If this was "a la carte" then you could decide pay for this feature or that feature, but that isn't how Quicken is priced.  The fact that you don't use the online features doesn't change the way Quicken is paid for.

There is a bit of a "choice" with online services though.  If you use Deluxe or above and you let the subscription lapse you can still continue to use the non online features of Quicken, but about 25% of the window will be filled with an ad suggesting you renew your subscription.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    AND, if you're using the Starter version, so that you'll continue to have the ability to input ANYTHING into Q.
    Starter becomes "read only" when the subscription expires without being renewed.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jjensonjjenson Member
    Are they using any of this money to actually maintain the product?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @jjenson

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question and provide feedback.

The reason for the yearly fee is that there are very real ongoing costs associated with maintaining connectivity, purchasing data for connected services, operating cloud-based companion apps, security monitoring and management, and periodically revising the product itself to meet evolving security and connectivity changes with financial institutions. 

If we provide these services at no charge in perpetuity, we could not afford to run our business.

I hope this helps to clarify and provide some insight.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Warlie1Warlie1 Member
    I used to need internet for quicken and no longer need internet services. I bought Quicken Deluxe originally from store and never had to renew it. I t. I never needed online services the whole time I had, but when I upgraded version on line I got dtuck with it. Not happy, but I guess it is what it is.
  • Trish107Trish107 Member ✭✭
    edited February 1
    [Removed-Off Topic/Sarcastic]
  • John39120John39120 Member
    I been using Quicken 2007 and have never upgraded. Been thinking about buying new version of Quicken, but do not like the subscription version of Quicken or buying the current year of the Starter package. Then it quick working for me after year and force to purchase another Quicken release. I used one version of Quicken 2007 for 14 years and had no problems with it till I consider to upgrade it. Is there package from Quicken that does not require annual subscriptions and will not fill screen with adds to renew after year? I never used the online process, only used for checking account register part of it.
    Accepted Answer
    You can use Quicken 2016 or 2017 without the ads. Look for a copy from a legitimate retailer.
  • Lhaff4870Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    How about 2018?
    No, Quicken 2018 is the subscription version of Quicken.
  • CalicatCalicat Member
    I have bought and used Quicken since the 1990s. I am very unhappy with the newer versions that force you to subscribe at a high fee every year. I only use it to keep my personal accounts balanced and not any of the other features such as bill pay or investments. There should be a lower-priced option for those that just use it as a digital checkbook register.
    I have not renewed my subscription this year and am now looking into some of the free software that I've researched. If Intuit/Quicken doesn't change their policy, they are going to lose more customers.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    " There should be a lower-priced option for those that just use it as a digital checkbook register. "
    That would be called a spreadsheet.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Lhaff4870Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    If I downsize from Deluxe to Starter version, will I lose anything except the ability to "Track loans, investments, and retirement accounts all in one place", which I don't use anyway?
    If you let your Quicken Starter subscription expire, your data will become Read Only.
This discussion has been closed.