Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Cannot run net worth report - Quicken crashs

I am a many year user of Quicken. But in the last 6 months I can no longer run net worth calculations or investment reports. Quicken just crashes with no information on why it crashed. I have run validate and no errors in the file. I have tried many things but no improvement. I am out of ideas, help!!! BTW error reports were sent to quicken.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• PDH
    PDH Member
    Thanks for the feedback, I learned some new things but it still fails.
    1. I am running R 31.8, build 27.1.31.8
    2. I downloaded and installed the Mondo patch (I didn't know this was available)
    I had already done all the validation steps except the SuperValidate as I did not know about that one, I completed that one as well.
    4. I closed and restarted using the new file but unfortunately it still crashes when running an all account sweep like account balance or Net worth. I can run an expense report so I decided perhaps an investment account is bad
    5. I started to 1 by 1 pull investment accounts out of the reporting using the separate from reporting function under display options for each account.
    8. I have now narrowed the problem down to a single account which if included in the report causes the crash.
    9. Unfortunately I have alot of transactions in that account so manually entering or going back in time is going to be very painful, any ideas?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Thanks for all the detective work!
    If Copy + Validate (with options Validate and Rebuild Investment Lots) + Supervalidate didn't do the trick and since you stated that you have it narrowed down to 1 account, here's something else you can try:
    If you're an active trader and your current investment account has many transactions pertaining to sold securities you may want to consider this:
    Archive Investment Transactions

For about a year now, a new function has been available in Quicken, Archive Transactions. It will split your investment account register into two parts, leaving only those securities' transactions where you currently hold >0 shares in the active register. The rest is moved to a new Archive register within the current data file.
    Having less transactions in your active register might improve performance.
    Please read and follow instructions here: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-archive-investment-transactions
    Eventually, after a couple of years, you might consider splitting your data file in two, with all the archived investment transactions in the old file and none remaining in the active file.
    Hope that helps solve the issue.