Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Synchrony Card from Amazon -Importing Issues [Edited]

James J
James J Member ✭✭
I keep having problems getting the OFX file to work properly. For the past couple of months, I've needed to download the OFC, open it with Notepad, and edit the start and end dates - Synchrony had been generating the OFX files with literally just the letter "R" for those two dates and this was preventing Quicken from reading the file.

So today, I downloaded the OFX file covering the time period from 21DEC2020 to 21JAN2021. As usual, the OFX files has gonked up start and end values, this is what it said:
<DTSTART>20210121
<DTEND>20210121

The start and end dates are the same! That won't work. So I corrected the start value, but the file still wouldn't work. Well, I see that my wife must have bought herself a time machine for Christmas because some of our transactions are in the future! Look at some of the transaction dates in the OFX file, they are the right day and month but they're a year ahead. Lovely isn't it?
<DTPOSTED>20211231
<DTUSER>20211231

and

<DTPOSTED>20211230
<DTUSER>20211230

Frustrating, because these errors render the OFX download basically useless. What I cannot understand, is how a billion dollar company like Amazon is partnering with Synchrony.

Anybody else seeing these kinds of errors?? Or am I losing my mind and it's all user error??

Answers

• Hello @James J

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was taking a look to see if I could import from my card and was able to. You're getting OFX downloads which im wondering if might be the issue. Is there an option for QFX downloads instead? This could be one of the issues. Another thing is some users were having issues with imprinting when trying to open the files outside of Quicken first. Try importing by going across the top to file > file import > web connect QFX file. This may be the issue as well but it's difficult to say.

Once you get the chance let us know if you're able to get through. If not we'll see what we can try finding next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Francisco said:
    > Hello
    > @James J
    >
    > Thank
    > you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was taking a look to see if I could import from my card and was able to. You're getting OFX downloads which im wondering if might be the issue. Is there an option for QFX downloads instead? This could be one of the issues. Another thing is some users were having issues with imprinting when trying to open the files outside of Quicken first. Try importing by going across the top to file > file import > web connect QFX file. This may be the issue as well but it's difficult to say.
    >
    > Once you get the chance let us know if you're able to get through. If not we'll see what we can try finding next.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Quicken
    > Francisco

Hey thanks for your interest!

I should clarify exactly what I'm doing.

I go to https://amazon.syf.com/login/ and export a .qfx file (which, strangely, has a big fat OFX - not QFX - as part of the icon). So, I am in fact exporting a .qfx file I guess. It looks like JSON format or something?

Normally I export the .qfx, and then double click it. Quicken then opens and reads the .qfx and I am able to import new transactions, match transactions already in my quicken file etc.

Just now I tried exporting a file for the billing period ending 21JAN2021 and also another for all transactions that have been made since then till now. When I try to double click either of the .qfx files, Quicken does try to read them but gives me the error you see in the attachment. When I use the File->Import method, Quicken does not throw an error but simply doesn't do anything with the file - Quicken acts like there's no data in the file at all.

When I open these .qfx files in Notepad, I can see the dates are all messed up. As I said above, some of the dates are in the future (e.g. <DTPOSTED>20211229) and for one of the files the initial parameters for the dates are essentially blank and simply say (see the start and end dates):
    <CCSTMTRS>
    <CURDEF>USD
    <CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>[REDACTED]
    </CCACCTFROM>
    <BANKTRANLIST>
    <DTSTART>R
    <DTEND>R
  • @James J

Thanks for the update. You're correct about the OFX. I double checked and it is an ofx so you're correct on that. I'm wondering here if we could try to import into a test file if we'd experience a similar issue with the ofx not importing properly. This will help us isolate it down to whether it's the ofx or the file. I'll leave steps down below on how to do. You can find it on the third step down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once we have the information we'll see what we can try next in your main file to get the file imported. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Francisco said:
    > @James J
    >
    > Thanks for the update. You're correct about the OFX. I double checked and it is an ofx so you're correct on that. I'm wondering here if we could try to import into a test file if we'd experience a similar issue with the ofx not importing properly. This will help us isolate it down to whether it's the ofx or the file. I'll leave steps down below on how to do. You can find it on the third step down below.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
    >
    > Once we have the information we'll see what we can try next in your main file to get the file imported. 
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Quicken Francisco

Francisco, may I check some of the logic in this trial and error process?

1. Quicken program is closed, not running
    2. I go to the Amazon Synchrony website, and export my OFX (with the .qfx appended to the file name)
    3. I open the OFX file with Notepad and see two problems that prevent Quicken from importing the file:
    a. The main start and end dates are blank, filled with "R" - previously I have resvolved this issue by manually typing the start and end dates in Notepad, saving the file, then importing
    b. I see dates for multiple transactions that are in the future.

But, because these problems manifest themselves in the downloaded OFX even before I open Quicken, is it even possible that the problem lies with Quicken?

I think it must be a problem with Synchrony, no?
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    Here is the CSV export from Synchrony Amazon for the billing period ending January 21st, 2021. I made no alterations to this data, except to redact the reference numbers.

Look at all the transactions dated December 2021, 10 months in the future. . .

This is how I receive the data from Synchrony, even before ever opening Quicken.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    So I took the OFX file for the data in the pic, in the post just above, and I opened it in Notepad and corrected all the future dates. It looks like the Synchrony system goofed up and labeled some December 2020 transactions as having occurred in December 2021.

I also ensured the initial date fields of

<DTSTART>R
    <DTEND>R

had actual dates as values and not "R".

Then I saved the file from Notepad (not Save As, just save, to keep the file association).

Then double-clicked the file. Quickened opened and imported the data successfully.

Bottom line, Synchrony has been producing garbage OFX files. There are other posts that have found similar issues, at least with the initial date fields:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884603/synchrony-activity-since-last-statement-not-working

But this was the first time I opened one of these OFX files and saw transactions dated in the future.

Quicken seems to be working fine, it's the credit card's website that is not working - at least that's how it seems to me. Synchrony shouldn't be permitted to advertise that they support Quicken imports - because clearly they do not support it.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    edited February 14
    I downloaded an OFX from Synchrony again this weekend and again the start and end dates are not complete, preventing Quicken from reading the file's transaction data.

Check out the <DTSTART>R and <DTEND>R fields that only have the letter "R". They should have a date instead. I can open these files in Notepad, correct the date field, and then import into Quicken.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    edited February 14
    Please ignore this post.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    I downloaded an OFX from Synchrony again, and this time all the transaction dates are correct, but the initial Start and End dates do not have a date value, and this makes Quicken unable to read the file.

See the <DTSTART>R and <DTEND>R fields below. This is one of the problems with the OFX files that Synchrony is exporting. As a user, I can open Synchrony's OFX files in Notepad, correct the dates, and then successfully import into Quicken.

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>
    <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <SONRS>
    <STATUS>
    <CODE>0
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    </STATUS>
    <DTSERVER>20210213092442.623[-8:PST]
    <LANGUAGE>ENG
    <FI>
    <ORG>SYNCB
    <FID>[NUMBER REDACTED]
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>[NUMBER REDACTED]
    </SONRS>
    </SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1>
    <CCSTMTTRNRS>
    <TRNUID>0
    <STATUS>
    <CODE>0
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    </STATUS>
    <CCSTMTRS>
    <CURDEF>USD
    <CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>[NUMBER REDACTED]
    </CCACCTFROM>
    <BANKTRANLIST>
    <DTSTART>R
    <DTEND>R

[ALL TRANSACTIONS REDACTED]

</BANKTRANLIST>
    <LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>-123.19
    <DTASOF>20210213092442.623[-8:PST]
    </LEDGERBAL>
    </CCSTMTRS>
    </CCSTMTTRNRS>
    </CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭
    I downloaded another OFX file from Synchrony again this weekend and once again the start and end dates are not valid, causing Quicken to ignore all the transaction data.

Check out the <DTSTART>R and <DTEND>R fields. There should be dates here, not the letter "R". If I open the OFX in Notepad, add the dates in the correct format, then I can import the file into Quicken.

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>
    <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <SONRS>