Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Should I upgrade my Quicken

DanaeDanae Unconfirmed, Member
edited February 8 in Before you Buy
I've been using Quicken for 20+ years and at the moment I'm still using Quicken 2000. This is partly because I live in the UK and Quicken pulled out of the market over here. I can see that I might be able to upgrade via Quicken 2004 and Quicken 2013 but will everything still work ok using pounds as the currency?

Best Answer

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @"Danae ,

If you want to upgrade, I would do a Manual Backup of your current Data File, in case it doesn't work. Make sure you have the installers, in case you need to go back.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21322.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.804

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

Answers

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @"Danae ,

If you want to upgrade, I would do a Manual Backup of your current Data File, in case it doesn't work. Make sure you have the installers, in case you need to go back.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21322.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.804

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• YingDaveYingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8
    @Danae
    If it's any help to you last year I upgraded the Australian file across to Canadian subscription. In Australia the most recent version sold as "2020" is in fact Quicken 2008 US version with a few localised pieces in the investment categories. The migration path for AU was through Quicken2013 Deluxe (free download no need to activate) which is available as download. So I tested this extensively first to learn the method. This step showed me the localisation items I went back to undo in the AU file first (3 AU investment categories that reverted back to US definition mainly).

Once I had removed those, I then subscribed to Quicken 2020 US version AND CA version to understand the differences. There are several which is a post on its own, but I settled on CA version since CA has GST/VAT, currency history similar to AU etc. More importantly my AU file converted directly through, no import/export of data, also able to transfer the TAX.SCD files over, home currency remained the same and AU date format was largely honoured via Windows settings (d/m/y) except for a couple of dialog boxes in parts (eg. currency). There is a 30 money back guarantee so I relinquished the US version and stayed with CA knowing I had tested the file migration already during this first 30 days. BTW the migration process is easier if you have access to more than one PC as windows complains when you try to load more than one version of Quicken at once. Can be done with back restore of HDD images but easier if you have 2 PCs to work with.

Although I do not know what customisation occurred in UK version I suggest it would be largely the same proposition to move from the UK file. You could use UK dates and pound as home currency without changing anything. Although I have not gone via Quicken 2004 - if you search support pages you should be able to find link to these versions as free downloads as Quicken is keen for maintaining a link to convert old files and keep users. If you do it within the first 30days the only risk if it does not suit you is the time invested.

Both QW 2004 & QW2013 Deluxe full version are available as download link in the support article for migration. This is same process no matter which version of the product you use (ie. I have H&B but used Deluxe to migrate)
    Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)
This discussion has been closed.