Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How Often Should Quicken Ask for Quicken ID?

How often should Quicken ask for my Quicken ID? It seems to ask every week or so (possibly as I change Quicken Accounts). I've seen older reports of it doing that every time a person logs in (that was fixed a while back). But, that's not what I'm seeing.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    @isonclubikin thanks for the update, though I'm sorry to hear that the issue continues to persist.

Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed thus far, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.
    -Quicken Anja

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Hello @isonclubikin,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Quicken should only ask you to sign in once after installing the program, after that you shoud no longer be prompted to sign in. If the sign-in prompt you are receiving is a pop-up dialog, then I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. Please, follow the steps below.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password (this screen is not a pop-up box)
    Keep in mind that the sign-in pop-up dialog may continuously keep popping back up, in which case you will need to continue closing it each time throughout the above process until you reach the full sign-in screen (which is not a pop-up).

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken should ask for a Quicken ID when we create a new Quicken file or reset the Quicken ID associated with an existing Quicken file.
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    I'm running Quicken Premier 2020, Version R31.8, Build 27.1.31.8. I'll give the Sign In/Sign Out thing a try and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT:  Should I Sign In/Sign Out from within all 3 of my Quicken Accounts?  Or, since it appears to be at the program level and not the account level, is doing it with just one account adequate?
  • Quicken Anja
    @isonclubikin when you say "accounts" are you referring to 3 separate bank accounts in the same data file or 3 different data files?

If it's 3 different data files, you may need to sign in and out for all 3 data files separately. However, I suggest trying it with just one first to see if it will resolve the issue for all 3 at once.
    -Quicken Anja
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    Three different data files.  And, today, as I switched from one of them back to the one where I'd just signed out and back in with my Quicken account, I got the prompt again.  So, I guess I'll sign out and sign back in with all 3 data files.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three different data files.  And, today, as I switched from one of them back to the one where I'd just signed out and back in with my Quicken account, I got the prompt again.  So, I guess I'll sign out and sign back in with all 3 data files.
    We are asked to provide the password for the Quicken ID assigned to the Quicken file when we switch between Quicken files.  We're not asked to provide the Quicken ID.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I do wonder about one thing.  Is more than one Quicken Id involved?
    If you have multiple Quicken Id's/data files, then if you are switching between them then you will be prompted every time you open a data file that has a Quicken Id different than the one you were just using for the last data file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I do wonder about one thing.  Is more than one Quicken Id involved?
    If you have multiple Quicken Id's/data files, then if you are switching between them then you will be prompted every time you open a data file that has a Quicken Id different than the one you were just using for the last data file.
    When we switch Quicken files, we're prompted to authenticate the Quicken ID associated with the new Quicken file even when the Quicken IDs are the same.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    When we switch Quicken files, we're prompted to authenticate the Quicken ID associated with the new Quicken file even when the Quicken IDs are the same.
    I currently have three data files (two for testing) I switch between them all the time without ever being prompted for the Quicken Id password.

On the other hand on another machine I use for the testing the same thing is true until I open a data file that was last opened with a different Quicken Id.  I have my main Quicken Id, one that is expired, and a Starter one (from buying TurboTax).  And switch to test various things people ask about on here.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. I wish we (as users) were told more about how this is all done so that we would have better handle on what one might be doing to "disturb" it.
    Signature:
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    I've got just one Quicken ID that I'm using across my three data files.  When I logged out of the Quicken ID in each data file, I'm almost certain it presented the same Quicken ID information when it asked for the logging out confirmation.  But, it's definitely the same now.  We'll see what happens.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Sherlock said:
    I currently have three data files (two for testing) I switch between them all the time without ever being prompted for the Quicken Id password.

On the other hand on another machine I use for the testing the same thing is true until I open a data file that was last opened with a different Quicken Id.  I have my main Quicken Id, one that is expired, and a Starter one (from buying TurboTax).  And switch to test various things people ask about on here.
    Were these three data files each created by selecting File > New Quicken File...?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Were these three data files each created by selecting File > New Quicken File...?
    Yes they were.  Given the "connections" between the file and "cloud account" I don't do any tests on my primary data file unless it is for debugging something happening n that data file.

I might add that I also create data files (File -> New Quicken File..) on pretty regular basis for testing things, and don't have to log in for that either.  It just uses my Quicken Id for the new file.  After testing I delete such data files.

Starting from my main data file, here is everything I see:
    File -> New Quicken File...

From there I just added a manual checking account.
    Closing Quicken and double clicking on that data file in File Explorer to open it.

Selecting my main data file from the File menu:

Now other Quicken screens.  This is how the Quicken Id/log in SHOULD work.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Sherlock said:
    Yes they were.  Given the "connections" between the file and "cloud account" I don't do any tests on my primary data file unless it is for debugging something happening n that data file.

I might add that I also create data files (File -> New Quicken File..) on pretty regular basis for testing things, and don't have to log in for that either.  It just uses my Quicken Id for the new file.  After testing I delete such data files.

Starting from my main data file, here is everything I see:
    File -> New Quicken File...

From there I just added a manual checking account.
    Closing Quicken and double clicking on that data file in File Explorer to open it.

Selecting my main data file from the File menu:

Now other Quicken screens.  This is how the Quicken Id/log in SHOULD work.
    I do something similar but I usually delete the cloud account of the original account using the new Quicken file before I switch back.  It's then that I'm prompted to provide the Quicken ID password.  It's not a serious issue to me as I use an autotype   password manager.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    On occasion have deleted my cloud data file account for my primary data file, and as a test I just did it.  That didn't cause it to prompt me for my Quicken Id, when I opened that data file again.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    On occasion have deleted my cloud data file account for my primary data file, and as a test I just did it.  That didn't cause it to prompt me for my Quicken Id, when I opened that data file again.
    I'm no longer able to reproduce the issue.   I suspect Quicken may have fixed the issue on their server.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    I'm no longer able to reproduce the issue.   I suspect Quicken may have fixed the issue on their server.
    And it reproduced again...

I just deleted the cloud account using a new temporary file, exited Quicken, deleted the temporary file and it's drippings, relaunched Quicken, and I was prompted to provide the Quicken ID password.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since it did two different things on two different days, it makes me wonder it is just some "server glitch".  As in I wouldn't be surprised that it tries to log in every time you start Quicken (and maybe even open a data file), and if that fails for whatever reason, you would be prompted.
    Signature:
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    Seven days ago, I logged out and relogged on with my Quicken ID on all three of my data files.  I just now switched from one data file to another and was prompted for my Quicken ID password.  So, that didn't work.
  • Quicken Anja
    Accepted Answer
    @isonclubikin thanks for the update, though I'm sorry to hear that the issue continues to persist.

Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed thus far, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 16
    Another bit of information.  Changed to a different data file again and got the same Quicken ID password prompt.  It *seems* like the prompt is happening one week (7 days) apart.

EDIT:  Also, and this is probably more irritating than the actual problem, for whatever reason, Quicken won't let my password manager (KeePass) autofill the password.  KeePass recognizes the form and I can tell it to put the password in, but nothing happens when I do (and, yes, the password field has the focus).
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    I guess the prompt for the Quicken ID password isn't somehow tied to time.  The last two times were separated by 7 days.  I just got another one today upon switching data files and that's only 2 days from the last time.
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    Just happened again after 25 days.