Provide Ability to Display/Hide Columns in Investment Registers

mrzookie
mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
edited February 1 in Display/UI (Windows)
In R30.8, Quicken added a font size adjustment function to the investment registers. This is a nice new feature, because I wanted to increase the font size as I already have in the banking registers. Unfortunately, the brokerage houses (at least the ones I use) tend to send security names in all caps, which eats up a little extra screen real estate. When combined with the larger font, I need to truncate some of the columns so I can fit everything I want to see on the screen. I know there is a hover function that provides a full display of any truncated entry, but that adds a lot of extra mouse movement (in my case, use of the track pad). I could go and edit all of my securities to U/L case, but I have hundreds of them, and that would be a very tedious job.

I have at least 2 columns in the investment registers that I never use. It would be great if, like the banking registers, we had the ability to display/hide columns as we need to. With that function, I can remove the unneeded columns, and redistribute the space where its needed. It would give better control of the screen real estate available.

If this is not possible (I don't see why not, but what do I know), if we could at least have the ability to shrink column widths further than their current designated minimums, that would help too (this would be a plus on the Investing pages as well).

Thanks.

16 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• amhazell
    amhazell Member
    I would like the ability to remove the first three columns from Investing Registers; "Blue Dot", Attachment, and Clr. I do not use them and never will, they just take up precious space needed for columns that are used!
  • doughmann
    doughmann Member ✭✭
    I am in full agreement with adding the feature allowing users to hide unused columns.
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    Quicken SangeethaS Moderator, Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    @amhazell
    @doughmann
    @mrzookie

Can you please let us know if your need is for specific columns? I see these columns listed above - "Blue Dot", Attachment, and Clr

Are these the only columns you all want to hide / show? Asking because it may be hard to implement a generic solution but if we have a list of columns that everyone wants to be hidden, we can find alternative solutions. Please let me know. Thanks. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion it is just the first three because the others have too much vital information to hide them.

Note another part of this request is to allow shrinking the columns further.
    I just looked at this, and it does seem like these days the you can shrink the columns quite a bit, but it is a bit inconsistent on the minimums.

The blue dot (which has no text) is larger than it has to be, the attachment icon is pushed into the separator, the Clr column is larger than it needs to be, the Description could be allowed to go down to ..., and the Security Bal column should reduce down to ... not an empty field.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which type of investment register are you using? The One Line or the Two Line register mode?
    The modes can be switched by going to Edit / Preferences / Investment Transactions and changing the selection in "List display".
    Two Line mode displays transaction using 2 lines, making a little more space available per column.
    You may also want to consider temporarily toggling your Quicken Window into "Full Screen" mode which closes some menu bars and the account view, making more space available for the register view within your Quicken window. Press the F11 - key to toggle modes. (No, this is not the same as the Windows "Maximize" function to expand the Quicken window to the full screen)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR I think @Quicken SangeethaS is looking for feedback on how best to implement changes so that the workarounds you are mention aren't needed.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_SangeethaS

@Chris_QPW pretty much nailed it in his comment of 4:08PM, above.

If hiding columns can't be implemented universally, my preferences would be:
    - HIDE Attachment
    - HIDE Share Balance or SHRINK IT FURTHER if that's not possible
    - SHRINK FURTHER Clr

I don't have a blue dot column, but if I did, I'd want to SHRINK IT FURTHER as well.

Thanks for asking. Hope you can do something about it.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mrzookie said:

- HIDE Share Balance or SHRINK IT FURTHER if that's not possible
    Note that this is the Share Bal column, so in fact it doesn't need to shrink more, in fact it needs to shrink slightly less.

To like this:

And when I think about it hiding it would be nice if possible.  This column was in fact added a few years ago as a feature request, so for most of Quicken's history it wasn't there.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28
    In 15 yrs, I've never viewed a Share Balance on the register. When I need that particular datum, I go to the "quotes" page. In my case, its just wasted screen real estate. Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating to remove it (or any other field), just to be able to hide it, or shrink it down to next-to-nothing. 

I've learned many times over that we all use Quicken slightly differently from each other. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mrzookie said:
    In 15 yrs, I've never viewed a Share Balance on the register. When I need that particular datum, I go to the "quotes" page. In my case, its just wasted screen real estate. Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating to remove it (or any other field), just to be able to hide it, or shrink it down to next-to-nothing. 

I've learned many times over that we all use Quicken slightly differently from each other. 

Have you tried to shrink the Share Balance column lately?
    As you can see from my screenshots it goes to next to nothing for me.

I personally use the Share Balance column every month.
    I have three Lending Club accounts that I enter the transactions manually.
    Once I'm finished entering the transactions the next thing I want to do is reconcile it, which starts with making sure the share balance is correct.  Being able to check it right there saves me time.
    Signature:
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for this thread.

Many "brokerage" accounts now also double as checking accounts. For a while I had my paycheck put in one of mine at Morgan Stanley, but Quicken really made it very difficult for me to see what was going on and not being able to change the column layout just makes it worse.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoolook said:
    +1 for this thread.

Many "brokerage" accounts now also double as checking accounts. For a while I had my paycheck put in one of mine at Morgan Stanley, but Quicken really made it very difficult for me to see what was going on and not being able to change the column layout just makes it worse.

Regular brokerage accounts can optionally have a linked Cash/Checking account which you can use for all your banking transactions (paycheck, checks, ATM withdrawals, Autopay / direct debit of bills, etc.). When enabled, this register looks like a regular bank checking account and exists in parallel to your brokerage account register. You use the bank register for your banking - type transactions and continue to use the brokerage register for your investment activity.
    The option to enable this linked Cash/Checking account can be found in the Edit Account Details dialog for the brokerage account.
    Be sure to have or create a backup of your data file BEFORE you enable this setting. It's a major change to the data file. If something were to go wrong during the change process you want to have a good backup to restore your data file from.
  • WisdomAndExperience
    WisdomAndExperience Member
    edited July 12
    The lack of Hide/Show columns for investment accounts is the single biggest impediment I encounter using Quicken (subscription version).

[removed - speculation/disruptive]

As someone else put it, we all use Quicken differently, so maximum flexibility is why I want TRUE Hide/Show columns capability in investment accounts.

That being said, I'm not holding my breath waiting for such a feature.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @WisdomAndExperience I don't think your evaluation is correct.

There is the program that the "user sees" and then there is the one that the programmer sees, and they aren't the same.

User sees a "register" and figures one register is the same as another and as such it should be simple to just adding a standard feature like hiding a column.

But that isn't what is really going on in the case of the investment register.  In fact all through the years Intuit/Quicken Inc have called it the "investment transactions list", not a register.  And if you ever saw the very first implementation of when it first came out you would see it is quite different from what they did in the non investment registers.  I have looked at the investment registers in a debug program and I can tell you that there aren't some standardized component.  It is made up of a complicated mess of all kinds of GUI components.

The bottom line is it must be in fact quite difficult to make any changes in the investment registers.

And are you aware of the fact that the person asking for feedback on this question (@Quicken SangeethaS) Is the Quicken Windows development manager?

So clearly they are looking at it, and if was easy to implement a true hide/show they would have long ago done that.   But it isn't because of "what it is" and that is dictated by over 30 years of history.  One might say then they should rewrite it, but that would be a MAJOR undertaking.
    Signature:
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    Quicken SangeethaS Moderator, Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you all for your inputs. We will investigate further to allow hide / show and the ability to shrink blue dot, CLR, Attachment & Share balance columns further. Thanks.