Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Starter vs Deluxe

Hi all,

I've read the comparison table for the two versions and know that I have no need for the investment, property, and loan tracking features in Deluxe.

Are there any operational differences and capabilities on the features shown in this comparison table? Is Starter limited in these capabilities vs Deluxe?

For example, they both show "create a budget", but are the processes used to create the budget the same? Are the features the same within this broad capability?

Just trying to sure that I'm not losing more than what is obvious.

thanks,
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    There are tons of difference that aren't captured in that simple chart.

Starting with the budget.  No annual view, only monthly.
    Then there is the no reporting on tags.
    No customizing the Home tab.
    No importing/exporting of QXF files (to transfer from Quicken Mac)
    Planning tab only has budgets, that means none of these:
    Debt Reduction, Lifetime Planner (retirement), Tax Center (no Tax Planner), Savings Goals.
    No Multiple currency support.
    No control over what tabs are shown.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)

Answers

• Ps56k2Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One major consideration is - what happens if you DON'T renew your subscription -
    Starter - your data goes into Read/Only - can't enter, add, edit
    Deluxe - your data stays R/W -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • THEmikehdTHEmikehd Member ✭✭
    Yes, I've read that here on this forum. But you lose the one step update as well if deluxe expires, correct? And you lose software updates and patches as well?
  • Ps56k2Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes - all online access is discontinued -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    Accepted Answer
    There are tons of difference that aren't captured in that simple chart.

Starting with the budget.  No annual view, only monthly.
    Then there is the no reporting on tags.
    No customizing the Home tab.
    No importing/exporting of QXF files (to transfer from Quicken Mac)
    Planning tab only has budgets, that means none of these:
    Debt Reduction, Lifetime Planner (retirement), Tax Center (no Tax Planner), Savings Goals.
    No Multiple currency support.
    No control over what tabs are shown.
  • THEmikehdTHEmikehd Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the complete response.

The only one that I would miss is the annual budget view. Is it still possible to export a monthly budget into a spreadsheet program?
    You can print/export the "Graph" view (I called it monthly, but in reality there are other settings like YTD, but it is one "interval").  And that is how it will show up in the print/export as one set of numbers for the categories.

You can also run the "current budget" and "historical budget" reports, but only from the Budget Actions -> Budget reports.  They don't show up on the reports menu.
  • thecreator-bthecreator-b Windows Beta Beta
    THEmikehd said:
    Yes, I've read that here on this forum. But you lose the one step update as well if deluxe expires, correct? And you lose software updates and patches as well?
    Hi @THmikehd

See this Article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

If you decide not to renew, you could reinstall Quicken 2016 or Quicken 2017 and have them read and write to the Data File. 

thecreator-b
This discussion has been closed.