Incomplete conversion from 6.0.3 file to 6.1.1 file or reconciliation problem?

I have a Quicken 6.0.3 file with data in a credit card account going back to 2010. When I converted a duplicate of my 6.0.3 data file to 6.1.1 the file appeared the same in 6.1.1. The reconciled checkmarks are there. The end date in 2010 is the same.

Then I wanted to reconcile the card. The reconcile window does not go back further than 2019. I know there is a problem reconciling this account. I could not reconcile it in 6.0.3 without starting from 2010. My guess was I had clicked on a transaction somewhere that had been previously reconciled and either 6.0.3 did not tell me I was messing up a previously reconciled account or somehow I missed the alert and ended up effectively unreconciling the account. 

Looking at the reconcile window if I enter the most recent statement date and amount in Jan 2021, the reconcile window only goes back to Jan 2018 when I could no longer reconcile that account. 

When I start a new reconciliation using the 20 Dec 2017 statement and amount I get a reconciliation window with no transactions and a difference of -$26,175.10!

How is that possible? The reconciliation window only showed transactions starting in Jan 2018 which is later than 20 Dec 2017. 

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @mrooney  You may want to cross post this in the thread about the release of Quicken 6.1. If there is a problem, the product manager may catch it here. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    I tried reconciling one account in a test file which hadn't been reconciled since 2000, and it worked as expected. I reconciled through December 2015 -- 15 years of transactions -- and they all showed up in the reconcile window as they should have. So I don't think there's any problem with reconcile being limited how far back it will look for transactions.

Re-reading your post, you're saying there are no transactions prior to January 2018 in the reconcile window. But are there unreconciled transactions in this account prior to January 2018? (Do you have the Clr column visible? If all the transactions prior to January 2018 have green check marks, they've all been previously marked reconciled.)

You might consider the 'nuclear option': clear the reconciliation of every transaction in this account, then re-reconcile everything up to your most recent statement. I'd start with trying this on a copy of your file, in case this makes things worse instead of better! Select all transactions in the account with Command-A, Control-click on any of the highlighted transactions and in the pop-up menu, select Set Status of Selected Transactions to > Not Cleared. Now go to reconcile, enter the date of your most recent statement and the balance, and click Mark All As Cleared to check them all; then uncheck the most recent ones which hadn't posted as of the reconcile date. If your overall register balance is correct as of today, you should be in balance in your reconciliation as of  your most recent statement date.
  • mrooney
    mrooney Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, Jacobs, there are unreconciled transactions prior to Jan 2018 in the account. No, they do not show in the reconcile window. 

The point of the new reconcile functionality is to not force the user to go to the extreme of the 'nuclear option.' I remember fondly of the Quicken 2007 reconcile feature that showed the reconciliations in an almost spreadsheet view. It made finding those little things that happened after reconciliation much much easier. This new functionality will hopefully do that even better. 
  • mrooney
    mrooney Mac Beta Beta
    @Jacobs, I suppose it could be a good idea to post it also in 6.1. I thought it would get enough attention here. I hate to have multiple posts about the same exact thing. 
  • jacobs
    mrooney said:
    The point of the new reconcile functionality is to not force the user to go to the extreme of the 'nuclear option.' I remember fondly of the Quicken 2007 reconcile feature that showed the reconciliations in an almost spreadsheet view. It made finding those little things that happened after reconciliation much much easier. This new functionality will hopefully do that even better. 
    I agree that the new reconciliation history and ability to re-reconcile will help for the future. It just doesn't help you now. ;) I only suggested the idea of the 'nuclear option' because you said the reconciliation of this account was already a mess, so I thought unreconciling everything might allow you to start over and bring things up-to-date in one pretty quick reconciliation.
    mrooney said:
    @Jacobs, I suppose it could be a good idea to post it also in 6.1. I thought it would get enough attention here. I hate to have multiple posts about the same exact thing. 
    I agree again regarding duplicate posts. :) But in this case, you have a problem with a new feature in the 6.1.1 release. Marcus, the product manager, does not read all the threads in the forum to see if there are issues; he might come across this one, but there's a good chance he might not. So only because it's relevant to the recent release, I thought it might be beneficial to post in that thread, with an @ to "Quicken Marcus". From what you're describing, I have no idea if the issue you're seeing is due to the changes in 6.1.1 or something that's messed up in the reconciliation in your account pre-dating this.
  • mrooney
    mrooney Mac Beta Beta
    Good thoughts @jacobs, thank you.
  • mrooney
    mrooney Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Marcus did you perhaps see this post? Should I bring someone else into it? The reconciliation system is looking like it needs a little help, or, am I using it incorrectly? 

Regards,
    ..michael..