Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken won’t open after a particular category transaction entered. Why? How to resolve?

The current quicken file I’m using has transaction since 1995. Today, when I enter a transaction against the ‘groceries’ transaction, it is accepted. If I then close quicken and try to reopen it, it won’t open (starts to open, enter password, then crashes).
Have restored from backup and tried entering a different category transaction with no issue...can close and reopen. But, every time I enter a ‘groceries’ transaction (regardless of the account), can’t open quicken after closing.
Tried copying the file into two files, one from 1995 to 2009 transactions and one from 2010 to current. But the same issue happened when I tried entering a ‘groceries’ category transaction in the ‘2010 to current’ file.
Is there a limit of the number of transaction under a category?
If there is, why in the copied, smaller file was there still an issue?
What else can I do to troubleshoot and resolve the issue?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you follow the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • RMD
    RMD Member
    Thank you Sherlock. I tried that before, even found instructions for a super repair function.
    Tried it again this time, but it still didn’t help. The report actually does say it repaired a category, but doesn’t say which. When I try again to add a ‘groceries’ category transaction, close quicken and try to reopen, it crashes. No issue if I enter any other category transaction.
    Other suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RMD said:
    Thank you Sherlock. I tried that before, even found instructions for a super repair function.
    Tried it again this time, but it still didn’t help. The report actually does say it repaired a category, but doesn’t say which. When I try again to add a ‘groceries’ category transaction, close quicken and try to reopen, it crashes. No issue if I enter any other category transaction.
    Other suggestions?
    Create a new groceries category and recategorize the old groceries transactions.
  • RMD
    RMD Member
    Thank you Sherlock. I had the same idea, but tried first just recategorizing the existing to a new category and continue to use ‘Groceries’. That didn’t work, same issue. So I did what you also suggested. Created ‘Groceries2’ then recategorized all ‘Groceries’ to new category ‘oldgroceries’.

Updated all reports to the new category and added the new category to my budget. Everything seemed to be ok, except coming back to Home from Planning caused another bug splat crash. Removed the ‘Budget’ view from my customized Home tab ‘View 1’ and things seem to be ok now.

If I navigate to ‘My money’ or ‘First page’ default views under ‘Home’ though, it crashes when trying to render the page. Seems to be some issue still in the background.

Sent Bugsplat reports in with as much information as possible.....think I will hear anything back from Quicken tech support or is there a way to follow up with them and connect to someone who may have seen the error reports?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RMD said:
    Thank you Sherlock. I had the same idea, but tried first just recategorizing the existing to a new category and continue to use ‘Groceries’. That didn’t work, same issue. So I did what you also suggested. Created ‘Groceries2’ then recategorized all ‘Groceries’ to new category ‘oldgroceries’.

Updated all reports to the new category and added the new category to my budget. Everything seemed to be ok, except coming back to Home from Planning caused another bug splat crash. Removed the ‘Budget’ view from my customized Home tab ‘View 1’ and things seem to be ok now.

If I navigate to ‘My money’ or ‘First page’ default views under ‘Home’ though, it crashes when trying to render the page. Seems to be some issue still in the background.

Sent Bugsplat reports in with as much information as possible.....think I will hear anything back from Quicken tech support or is there a way to follow up with them and connect to someone who may have seen the error reports?
    You're not likely to hear back from Quicken tech support regarding a BugSplat report and there isn't any way to follow-up on such a submission.  

Did you delete the oldgroceries category?
  • RMD
    RMD Member
    Hi Sherlock, yes I did delete the old category, just so I don’t end up using it.

Chatted with Quicken support. They said it was an issue with Bugsplat and sent me to them. Bugsplat said it was a Quicken problem because they are only invoked when Quicken is crashing, then they capture the error reports, etc. They kindly gave me a report number and said Quicken support are able to access the Bugsplat portal and view the report.

Back to Quicken. They claim they can’t view the error reports (seems very strange because how else would they know the errors and bugs to fix). Tried a couple more things with Quicken support, including complete uninstall, clean and reinstall. Issue still remained.

Last they had me export and import the data again as a new file. Not seeing the error now, but have also lost budgets and reports. Will have to set up a budget again and see if problem happens again. Suspect it was somehow related to budget since wasn’t getting the crash on my main view after removing the budget view / widget and the other views (that were crashing) may have also had a budget component on the view.

What does bother me is the run around/finger pointing between Quicken and Bugsplat. From my perspective, as a consumer, I purchased Quicken. I don’t know or care that Quicken uses Bugsplat, I and others purchased Quicken. Quicken should take full ownership and accountability for their product.

Thanks for your help.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RMD said:
    Hi Sherlock, yes I did delete the old category, just so I don’t end up using it.

Chatted with Quicken support. They said it was an issue with Bugsplat and sent me to them. Bugsplat said it was a Quicken problem because they are only invoked when Quicken is crashing, then they capture the error reports, etc. They kindly gave me a report number and said Quicken support are able to access the Bugsplat portal and view the report.

Back to Quicken. They claim they can’t view the error reports (seems very strange because how else would they know the errors and bugs to fix). Tried a couple more things with Quicken support, including complete uninstall, clean and reinstall. Issue still remained.

Last they had me export and import the data again as a new file. Not seeing the error now, but have also lost budgets and reports. Will have to set up a budget again and see if problem happens again. Suspect it was somehow related to budget since wasn’t getting the crash on my main view after removing the budget view / widget and the other views (that were crashing) may have also had a budget component on the view.

What does bother me is the run around/finger pointing between Quicken and Bugsplat. From my perspective, as a consumer, I purchased Quicken. I don’t know or care that Quicken uses Bugsplat, I and others purchased Quicken. Quicken should take full ownership and accountability for their product.

Thanks for your help.
    Quicken Support should not have directed you to BugSplat.  BugSplat is just a utility embedded in Quicken to help collect information when there are unexpected issues detected.  I doubt Quicken Support accesses the BugSplat portal.  It would more likely be someone in Quality Assurance or Development.