My Quicken crashed and won't reopen.

While updating my Chase bank connection, Quicken suddenly closed and now won't open. I've tried to open with a backup file but it still won't open. It's as if the main program has been wiped.

Should I try downloading a new program? Help! I'm on this every day.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,
      • uninstall Quicken using this procedure:
        http://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
      • When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from  your account at quicken.com or your installation CD or saved downloaded installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,
      • uninstall Quicken using this procedure:
        http://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
      • When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from  your account at quicken.com or your installation CD or saved downloaded installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

• Same with me about Chase Bank login. After resetting my connection, suddenly it did not recognize my internet connection at all. This is after the update. I fixed issues with USAA bank and Citibank as well. What is going on>>>
  • pacwh
    pacwh Member
    I don't know what's going on with the system, but when I rebooted my computer completely I got Quicken back. Weird!
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, this happens to me on a routine basis (Ugh!). Quicken will shutdown unexpectedly and when I go to open it again, instead of the typical logon screen, a window opens up with suggestions on how to recover. In my case, the only method that works is the last one - reboot your computer. Since my computer is a little older and slower, this is really a pain as it takes about 5 minutes to complete the process and get Quicken up an running. I've checked the Task Manager and Quicken is not running (frozen), but something is hanging on in the background that will not let me reopen Quicken without a full reboot. I wish Quicken would close out cleanly or that I knew of a way to clear whatever flag was set, but a full reboot seems to be the only solution. Good Luck!
  • None of those things happened until the last update. Was able to relog on again but cannot update anything anymore.
This discussion has been closed.