How come suddenly there is a system alert sound when One Step Update is launched?

How come since last few builds of QW there is a system alert sound when One Step Update is launched? Quicken sounds are turned off in prefs. Win 10 Pro x64

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    edited February 7

[edited - issue recently introduced as a bug - See Sherlock's response]

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7
    I hear the Windows "Asterisk" system sound every time when invoking OSU, precisely at the time the OSU Progress window opens. Since the Asterisk event can be bound to any sound (or none), a sound clip really won't help. OSU is causing some system event which results in this Windows sound.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    A web search turned up this. Maybe something changed with the OSU Progress window to make Windows think it's a popup alert?

Windows includes some program events of its own. Their names are mostly self-explanatory but some are harder to understand. Here’s when the default system sounds are played in Windows:

• Asterisk – the sound that is played when a popup alert is displayed, like a warning message.
    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/when-each-sound-windows-sound-scheme-played/

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Joseph Witkin
    Joseph Witkin Member ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Looks like Quicken is aware of the issue per thread pointed out by Sherlock.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited February 7
    Interesting. Looks like Quicken is aware of the issue per thread pointed out by Sherlock.
    Which I skipped over because the forum took me directly to @Quicken Francisco 's now-deleted reply, to which I was replying. I'll stop trying to debug it now. :#
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I'm going to stay with R30.21 - maybe forever - as it seems that every R31.xx release intros some new bug, some subtle, some trashing the QDF file, or at least some specific entries - AND - appears to also RE-Enable the Cloud Sync feature...

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • In addition to the sound, I noticed yellow markers beside some of the Bank names in the one step update list. What does the yellow marker mean?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8
    waylord Hamrock said: In addition to the sound, I noticed yellow markers beside some of the Bank names in the one step update list.
    Do they look like little "keys" ?

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8
    In addition to the sound, I noticed yellow markers beside some of the Bank names in the one step update list. What does the yellow marker mean?
    I suspect you're referring to small key icons.  If we select the key icon, we're provided a window that allows us to change the financial institution's account password. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    In addition to the sound, I noticed yellow markers beside some of the Bank names in the one step update list. What does the yellow marker mean?
    I suspect you're referring to small key icons.  If we select the key icon, we're provided a window that allows us to change the financial institution's account password. 
    They actually have two different meanings these days.

For financial institutions that allow you to change the password through Quicken that is what the key means.  But for Express Web Connect that is using the new QCS connection method, if you click on them it will simply tell you that your passwords are no longer stored in the Password Vault.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.