Manual transaction Question for a newbie

Options
I'm new and just getting set up with Quicken. I downloaded my account info from my bank, which is awesome. However, I like to schedule my payments online for during the month on the specific vendor pay portals. Obviously these won't show on my checking register until they hit my account.

I know I can manually enter these transactions for the date they will pay. However, does Quicken know when it downloads the transactions later in the month that I already entered it manually? Or will I have to look out and delete any duplicate transactions?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken will normally recognize that the transactions are the same an automatically match them. In case it fails, which it occasionally does, do not delete the duplicate. Instead, drag and drop one on top of the other which will perform a manual match. Quicken will learn from this.

Make sure the Status column, indicated by a black dot column header, is displayed in the register (menu View > Columns). The icons there tell you about the download match status. You can see the definitions of these icons by typing "icons" the the Help > Search menu. You can also turn on the Match Status column which gives you a more explicit textual info about the transaction match status.

BTW, when you are entering the future transactions, you may want to enter them as scheduled transactions (reminders) if you are not already. You can do this by right-clicking on one and choosing "Schedule Selected Transaction" from the popup menu. This is useful if the transaction is recurring at the same time every month or other time period. Quicken will still auto match to these scheduled transitions. Click the tiny clock icon in the upper right of the register to control how many future scheduled transactions are displayed in the register.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken will normally recognize that the transactions are the same an automatically match them. In case it fails, which it occasionally does, do not delete the duplicate. Instead, drag and drop one on top of the other which will perform a manual match. Quicken will learn from this.

Make sure the Status column, indicated by a black dot column header, is displayed in the register (menu View > Columns). The icons there tell you about the download match status. You can see the definitions of these icons by typing "icons" the the Help > Search menu. You can also turn on the Match Status column which gives you a more explicit textual info about the transaction match status.

BTW, when you are entering the future transactions, you may want to enter them as scheduled transactions (reminders) if you are not already. You can do this by right-clicking on one and choosing "Schedule Selected Transaction" from the popup menu. This is useful if the transaction is recurring at the same time every month or other time period. Quicken will still auto match to these scheduled transitions. Click the tiny clock icon in the upper right of the register to control how many future scheduled transactions are displayed in the register.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.