Category not included in transactions when using one step update

Since my upgrade to R31.12, when I update an account using One Step Update, some transactions do not include the category associated with the transaction's bill reminder. It only seems to happen when the category is another Quicken account; it does not appear to happen when the category is a "regular" expense category. Example: the account being updated is a Merrill Lynch cash account that I use to pay most of my bills; when a downloaded transaction matches something like my utility bill, the category appears in the register (e.g., "Utilities:Electric"), but when the downloaded transaction matches a credit card account payment, the category field is not filled in with the value (e.g., "[ChaseVisa]"). Anyone know what's going on or if this is a known issue that I missed?

Answers

• Hello @Dogman

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering here why it's not downloading but we should be able to try to see if we may be able to fix it by deactivating and reactivating the account. Ideally this should refresh it so that we're able to get those categories. I'll leave steps down below.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

Once you get the chance let us know if you are able to get your transactions categories back up and downloading. If not let us know and we'll see what we can do next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Dogman
    Dogman Member ✭✭
    Thanks Francisco. I will try what you suggest, but I'm a little confused by your references to the categories not downloading -- the categories live only in Quicken, so they would not be downloaded as part of an online update. The downloaded transactions match transactions either in my bill reminders or in transactions entered into the online account's register; the categories live in those transactions, not in any downloaded information.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Transaction download problems with matching and adding new transactions correctly

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• Dogman
    Dogman Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice @UKR. Please note that the problem reported is new -- I've been doing these downloads for many years; there are only about two dozen downloaded transactions each month (they are regular bills paid through one bank account, and not random transactions); I have not altered any settings; and all the settings mentioned appear to be correct. The only change made to my Quicken installation prior to the problem reported was the update to 31.12.

I did some poking around and discovered that my Memorized Payee List had multiple entries for most of these payees, and the first one in each group was missing a category. I don't know how these entries got onto the list, but it appears that the downloaded transactions were matching on the category-less entries. I did a lot of editing of the List, getting rid of the category-less entries and making sure the remaining entries had the correct category. I just updated to Release 32.10, and decided to check the Memorized Payee List, and most of the transfer categories I had added were gone! (Not sure if this happened prior to the update or not.) I added some of the categories back, exited Quicken, and the next time I opened it, the recently-added categories were missing again. I have not been able to replicate that behavior again, but there definitely seems to be something wonky going on with the Memorized Payee List.

I'll keep plugging away.
This discussion has been closed.