Supervalidate gives error about reopening the datafile

Every time I've used Supervalidate, it performs the validate operation and then gives a popup window error about not being able to open the datafile.  "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup.  Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again."
I don't use Cloud storage and the only application accessing the file is Quicken supervalidate.
What is going on?
I've tried copying the file and using Supervalidate on the copy but that didn't help.

Quicken Deluxe Subscription; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use Cloud storage and the only application accessing the file is Quicken supervalidate.

Quicken is saying otherwise. Specifically, do you have the Quicken data file stored on OneDrive, GoogleDrive, DropBox or any other service. The file does not reside in the cloud, but on your HD. These services interfere with Quicken operations.
    Your data file should be located in the Documents folder and not covered by a cloud backup service.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is no cloud backup service.  No Onedrive, Googledrive, or Dropbox or any other backup service.  The datafile resides in the Documents/Quicken folder.
    Validate does not have a problem.  Supervalidate has a problem.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, that's helpful. You mention you tried to copy the file. There are two very different ways to copy the file. One is typical of Windows copy, the other actually rebuilds the data file and can repair a damaged file, which clearly you are experiencing. I would try File>File Operations>Copy if you have not already.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is actually just a "timing bug" in Quicken, and nothing to really to worry about.

I have seen it happen with manual backups, and validate and repair, and I think even with things like the moving of investment transactions where they run validate and repair at the end.

What is happening is that during a validate and repair Quicken closes the data file, and that releases the lock on the file.

Then Validate & Repair opens the data file, which grabs the lock, does what I wants, and then closes the file/releases the lock, at the same time Quicken goes to open that file again.

There is some kind of race situation going on here because under certain conditions the file can still be locked by the time Quicken tries to open it.  And when that happens Quicken posts that message.  All you have to do is close that message and use File -> and select your file name from the list to open it again.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Thanks.  I suspected as much and have been doing File -> Filename to reopen the file while hoping that there was no corruption from the Supervalidate.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG I did a file transaction copy i.e. a reorg copy of the database file.