Reconciled Transactions Disappearing On Subsequent Session

Recently I had to start with a completely clean file because random errors kept happening. I hoped that drastic measure would resolve things, but it did not.

Repeatedly, despite reconciling completely with the online balance at the end of a given day, the next time I reconcile, I struggle, only to find that the error pre-dates my previous reconciliation. On 1/9, I found myself having to change my opening balance because I was off by thousands... and when I investigated (hours), I found that the opening balance in the file was $20, but in fact the balance on the day the file started was... well, exactly the difference that I was off. This is despite having reconciled multiple times successfully since the new file was created.

After the 1/9 session, I made a backup to prove I was not crazy. Today (1/11), I went in and manually accepted all transactions, but found myself off by $75.49 after accepting and matching all of the new transactions. Frustrated, I exported all of my transactions and then restored my 1/9 backup and did the same. In Excel, I matched up every transaction, row for row. I found 5 transactions that were previously reconciled (in the 1/9 file) which were no longer even present in my 1/11 file. The sum of the 5 transactions: $75.49.

All 5 were recurring transactions, so after accepting the recurring transactions into my register on 1/9, reconciling them and ensuring my end of day balance matched, those (most recent) iterations of these 5 recurring transactions were removed from my register.

This is exactly the kind of issue that caused me to decide to start completely over with a new file, made me think I was going crazy.... and now I have proof that there is something amiss.

I truly hope someone has a magical and simple solution to this problem. I am really close to abandoning Quicken, which I have used for years. I really do not want to do this....

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Answers

• LarryC
    LarryC Member ✭✭
    Something has changed in the "One Step Update" that is causing synchronization issues with cloud-based data. Like you, I have been using Quicken for years but have been frustrated by recent problems.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @redteampython

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

First, If you haven't already and open Quicken and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem. 

Next, do you use the mobile or web app at all? If not, can you confirm if the option to sync to the mobile/ web is off?

To locate this setting, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web, there will be an on-off toggle. 

Can you also navigate to the One Step Update settings and confirm if sync to the cloud is selected there?

If either of these options is enabled please disable them and see if this resolves the issue. If this does resolve the issue, you may need to move forward without syncing to the cloud or mobile app until the issue has been corrected.

Please let me know what you find!

I hope this helps to clarify.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • redteampython
    redteampython Member ✭✭
    Well, given that I am paying for the features, I would like to have them available. I have used the Mobile version. But if it is going to fix the problem, I will turn it off. Too bad we have to disable features we have paid for in able to get the product to work. I'll see if it fixes the problem.

I know this is a complex program and such have given it much grace over time, dealing with buggy releases and having to sometimes walk a mile to go an inch. But with as many subscribers as you have, I suspect I could start a new business and re-write this from scratch and do better. If you inherited a troubled architecture from Intuit, then rebuild it. Other than the institution syncing which depends on other people's platforms, this is just a database performing 2nd grade math.

I never recommend this product to anyone because unless you have a computer science degree (which, fortunately, I do) the instability makes this program completely unusable.
  • I'm having the same problems. I spent a good hour or so the other day going back over the last year of reconciled transactions, and finding several missing and a few duplicated. Got everything straightened out finally, and the balance matched perfectly with my statements. Now I open Quicken today, and notice my health insurance payment for November is missing, and another payment is duplicated (both had been reconciled). After adding one back in, and deleting the duplicate, I checked it against my last statement and see it's still off by a couple hundred dollars. That was before I did anything online with the program. This is unacceptable.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    Hello @marshalljpeters

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you have not done so already and open Quicken and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem. 

Can you please confirm if you have sync enabled?

To confirm if you have sync enabled, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web, there will be an on-off toggle. 

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • HyruleBalverine
    HyruleBalverine Member ✭✭
    I am in the same boat. I had to clear my mobile sync data (again) recently to fix one issue and now I'm having transactions change and/or disappear. I just spent too much time, after reconciling my most recent bank statement, to discover that for some reason running One Step Update changed a 2 month old deposit into a copy of a different deposit in my primary checking account register. Now I have to go back into my 401K account register and try to match transactions to see why I'm now off by a large sum (is it 1 transaction? 1 changed?)... I just recently paid for a new subscription and find it frustrating that the feature I paid for seems to be messing up my registers.
  • redteampython
    redteampython Member ✭✭
    When is this going to be fixed?? I have a screenshot and a saved backup of a file immediately following the error. I saw a downloaded transaction that matched a scheduled transaction that had not yet posted. So, I posted said transaction and saw the downloaded transaction "Match" the newly created transaction. So, I accepted the match. (This is where I have a backup and screenshot.) Instead of changing the transaction to "C"leared, it CHANGED the transaction from a $100 item and instead posted MY PAYCHECK!! Now, the $100 transaction is nowhere to be found and my paycheck shows twice: Once as Cleared because of this problem, and once as pending as I had not yet entered that recurring ite.

@Quicken_Tyka - I have entered the report as you suggested. To my knowledge, I have not received any response. The problem appeared to be temporarily solved when I followed your instructions to disable mobile and web. At this time, I am not using this functionality (even though I am paying for it...). Sync to Mobile is turned OFF and it is not present in my one-step update. What do I do now?? I can't trust my reconciliation function at all as it results in my having to reconcile multiple times, and in the end, always having to log in to my bank and go transaction by transaction to fix whatever error was made.

Please, for the love of all things Holy, FIX THIS PROBLEM!
  • redteampython
    redteampython Member ✭✭
    Happening with every single transaction I accept. Just happened with the next item. I submitted a ticket, but I am not holding my breath.
  • vmart777
    vmart777 Member
    I am getting this error also. I summited an error report. I do use the mobile app occasionally so I do have sync enabled.