How Do I Backup to a Flash Drive?

This discussion was created from comments split from: One step update taking over an hour to complete!!!!!!!.

Comments

  • Grunder
    Grunder Member
    Also, when trying to B/U to a thumb drive, nothing happens, then a "close program OR wait for program to respond" message. Closed program and checked thumb drive. - B/U was there. But not very confident in this procedure!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Does your thumb drive (AKA "USB drive" or "flash drive") have a light on it that indicates that acttivity is happening?  Have you looked at the drive to see if that light is flashing?
    What do you mean by "nothing happens" if the backup is actually created?  What would you expect to see?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There can be multiple reasons Quicken might fail to B/U to a thumb drive.

    Are you able to B/U to a folder on an internal drive?
    Are you able to use Windows File Explorer to copy the B/U from the internal drive to the thumb drive?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grunder said:
    Also, when trying to B/U to a thumb drive, nothing happens, then a "close program OR wait for program to respond" message. Closed program and checked thumb drive. - B/U was there. But not very confident in this procedure!
    This could be dangerous, closing Quicken while it's doing file I/O. Quicken does sometimes stop responding to Windows events, resulting the in the "close or wait" prompt. In my experience, it always eventually finishes, so I'd recommend waiting a bit longer and see whether it completes.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Sherlock said:
    There can be multiple reasons Quicken might fail to B/U to a thumb drive.

    But the OP stated, in the initial post, that the BU WAS created.  So, this appears to be something else.

    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13
    NotACPA said:
    Sherlock said:
    There can be multiple reasons Quicken might fail to B/U to a thumb drive.

    But the OP stated, in the initial post, that the BU WAS created.  So, this appears to be something else.

    Possibly but it also does not mean the BU WAS successful.

    If Windows detects an unresponsive program and we choose to allow Windows to close the program, there is no guarantee the program successfully completed its task.
Sign In or Register to comment.