Simplify the Save Report process

Phil Burton
Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
edited February 14 in Reports (Windows)
1. Default SAVE location should be the location of the current version of a report, if the report is being revised.
2. Allow selection of the report SAVE location from the Saved Reports box by clicking on a location, for a new or revised report.
Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    I forgot to add that I want the report name to be the same when I do a SAVE.  That is, if my current report is named Monthly Expenses, I don't want the Quicken to change the name of the report to Monthly Expenses1.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14
    [Edited title]
    There is an option Edit > Preferences > Reports only "Remind me to save reports" which may help your report naming issue.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Default SAVE location should be the location of the current version of a report, if the report is being revised.
    2. Allow selection of the report SAVE location from the Saved Reports box by clicking on a location, for a new or revised report.

I forgot to add that I want the report name to be the same when I do a SAVE.  That is, if my current report is named Monthly Expenses, I don't want the Quicken to change the name of the report to Monthly Expenses1.
    Are you using an old version? I believe your points 1 & 3 were addressed several versions ago. Try the latest subscription version 27.1.31.12. But I'm not sure I understand point #2. Save location is in a drop-down menu.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To clarify I think I can give some examples.

Report is in:
    My Saved Reports -> Export Reports

Clicking the floppy icon:

On #2, I'm not as clear, exactly what you are talking about @Phil Burton , maybe you can give some example with a screenshot.

On #3 I think the problem is they have "Save Copy" and it should really be Save As.  The name shouldn't be automatically picked, or at least should allow the user to change it.

As in bring up a report and hit the Save/floppy disk icon.
    Select "Save Copy".  Notice that you don't get a chance to name it, instead it just adds a number to the end of the existing report name.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Re point #1, you can obtain the desired behavior by setting "Customizing modifies current report or graph" in Preferences > Reports and Graphs.
    Re point #3, just choose Save instead of Save Copy, and the 1 is not appended.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭

Are you using an old version? I believe your points 1 & 3 were addressed several versions ago. Try the latest subscription version 27.1.31.12. But I'm not sure I understand point #2. Save location is in a drop-down menu.

I am using version 31.12, build 27.1.31.12.  I have Quicken set up to auto-update.

I want to be able to click one of the saved reports icons directly, instead of having to futz with the Save in dropdown box.  What I am saying is that this window should behave the same way as all Windows applications that allow a folder to be selected if you click on Save As. 

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    Re point #1, you can obtain the desired behavior by setting "Customizing modifies current report or graph" in Preferences > Reports and Graphs.
    Re point #3, just choose Save instead of Save Copy, and the 1 is not appended.
    I already had set Customizing modifies ... in my preferences.

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    [Edited title]
    There is an option Edit > Preferences > Reports only "Remind me to save reports" which may help your report naming issue.

I already had that Preference item selected.

I guess the general issue is why can't Quicken follow the same conventions for file SAVE and SAVE AS as every other Windows program, instead of something that seems like it came from the DOS version of Quicken (which I did use.)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited February 15
    There is something strange going on here. Yesterday when I was playing with this, toggling between "creates" and "modifies" determined whether the saved report destination defaulted to My Saved Reports or its original reports folder, respectively.
    Today, I cannot get a saved report to land in My Saved Reports regardless of the toggle. It always wants to save back to the original, correct folder. Same Quicken release, same data file.
    I agree this is a strange dialog. For some reason, the devs have been randomly tweaking the GUI lately, such as scroll bars and the location of the register search box. But they rarely seem to tweak GUI items users actually care about.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The ironic part of this is that this dialog was in fact tweaked not that long ago (a few years).  It use to be there wasn't any "Save Copy" and when you hit Save it just added a number to it (sound familiar?)

So they went to the trouble of changing this, but did it in the most lazy possible way.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    The ironic part of this is that this dialog was in fact tweaked not that long ago (a few years).  It use to be there wasn't any "Save Copy" and when you hit Save it just added a number to it (sound familiar?)

So they went to the trouble of changing this, but did it in the most lazy possible way.
    I would rather say that the devs had "other priorities."  (Who decides?  The devs?  someone else?) However, I think that the entire user interface needs serious, very serious redesign.

I have a few more UI-related ideas that I want to post, but what I really wish I could do is post something like the following for a vote:

Do a thorough usability study by a third party on the entire user interface.  Resign the interface to conform more closely to Windows 10 and MacOS X standards for file handling and tree interfaces