Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Cannot, use, install or uninstall

I don't know where to start to describe it. I had two version of Quicken in Windows 10 Programs list. Uninstalled the old one. Now nothing works. No worries I'll just uninstall it all and re-install..... but not so fast....

Trying to re-install: After download & running the installer it attempts to uninstall the old version then craps out with "Quicken Failed to Install - Exit Code: 1638".

When I try to uninstall the remaining Quicken from Windows Add/Remove I get "Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action QuickenCustomAction_Uninstall_FirstCheck, entry: QCA_BeforeUninstallFirstCheck, library: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\QCustomAction.dll "

I've tried using QCLeanUI https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken -- + renaming folders etc. QCleanUI actually looks like it is doing something, but nothing changes. Every time it says Quicken 2018 is installed....

Answers

• Win 10 Pro Build 19042
    Quicken Subscription - Home, Business & Rental Property

I'm not sure what 'older' version was hanging around on my PC. But QCleanUI looks like it is finding 2018

Show Installed Info:
    --------------------------------------
    Version Installed : Quicken
    Version Number : 27
    Year : 2018
    Install Dir :[Registry]:
    Install Dir :[Installer]: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    --------------------------------------
    Start Menu Path : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
    StartUp Path : C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
    Common StartUp Menu Path : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
    Common Desktop Path : C:\Users\Public\Desktop\
    User Desktop Path : C:\Users\[User Name]\Desktop\
    Common AppData Path : C:\ProgramData\Quicken
    Internet Client Path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken\Internet Client
    AppData Roaming Path : C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

When I run Clean for just this version I see:

[Clean Installed Versions]
    [Clean Installed Versions] Cleaning Quicken ...
    Cleaning Quicken 2018
    C:\Users\puter admin\Desktop\Quicken temp\MSIClean32.exe {62D93E3E-2F8E-42BD-9343-896F4F0031D3}
    Error: Unable to start C:\Users\puter admin\Desktop\Quicken temp\MSIClean32.exe {62D93E3E-2F8E-42BD-9343-896F4F0031D3}Cleaning Install Folder
    Cleaning Shared DLLS
    Cleaning up Desktop
    Cleaning StartMenu
    Cleaning Files for Quicken 2018...
    Cleaning Registry for Quicken 2018...
    [Clean Installed Versions] Uninstalled successfully
    [Clean Installed Versions] Cleaning registry for 2018
    [Clean Installed Versions] Cleaning files for 2018

Uninstallation Completed
  • I still see this in my Windows Programs list...this is one where uninstall fails.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Was there a Windows Restore Point that was created that you could restore to and then try QCleanUI as a first step?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that doesn't work, you can try Revo Uninstaller Free Portable.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/start-freeware-download-portable
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Hello @Just Some Guy

To add on to some advice here if the steps provided from other users above don't work I would recommend  contacting Quicken Support via  phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so. This will allow us to also try troubleshooting if you're not able to install still. I'll leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Closed 2/15 in observance of President's Day

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're still having this problem, I'd recommend telling QCleanUI to clean ALL versions. When it's finished, I'd run CCleaner or some similar tool to clean all references to Quicken out of the Windows Registry. Hopefully that will remove the non-uninstallable entry from the programs list. Then reinstall Quicken.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Thanks for the input everyone. I've been working on the system restore off an all today. Start something...walk away... etc. Restore failed at first with some disk errors. The disk errors now appear to be fixed. After retrying a system restore I'm getting failure message on the restore related to a norton security file However, it looks like the rest of the restore might have worked. I can see the original state where I had two Quickens in my programs list. "Quicken" and "Quicken 2017". Before I go too far forward I'm making sure I have copies of all my data (not just quicken). I want to be prepared for that if in the end I need to do a clean install of Win 10.
  • > @splasher said:
    > Was there a Windows Restore Point that was created that you could restore to and then try QCleanUI as a first step?

splasher's comment got me started! After resolving some other issues it appears I was able to complete a restore to a prior point. However, regular windows uninstall still failed with the same error, starting a new install of Quicken also failed in the same manner, QCleanUI found both instances of quicken and ran...it didn't remove it.

> @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > If you're still having this problem, I'd recommend telling QCleanUI to clean ALL versions. When it's finished, I'd run CCleaner or some similar tool to clean all references to Quicken out of the Windows Registry. Hopefully that will remove the non-uninstallable entry from the programs list. Then reinstall Quicken.

So I searched for additional cleaner for windows uninstall and wound up here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d .

Using this troubleshooter from MS, I was able to uninstall both instances of quicken. I can't say if this would have worked without restoring to an earlier point, but you never now.

Install of quicken then worked as expected.

Thanks all!!!!