Quicken error related to investment transaction for Bitcoin

I've been getting a repeated error when trying to enter a Bitcoin purchase transaction into my investment account. The total purchase amount for the transaction is only $75 and the value of Bitcoin on the purchase date was $47,952.96. The error I receive states "The resulting value is too big. Please enter it in more than one transaction." Is there a reason for this error with such a small transaction? :# :#
Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @T_N

I am not exactly sure why you are getting that message, but it is likely related to the data you are entering.  I was able to enter a test transaction into a brokerage account for your transaction manually.  Here's the input you should use:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14
    For what its worth, I have no difficulty entering a purchase of 0.001564 shares of a security at price of $47,952.96 per share for a total cost of $75.
  • T_N
    T_N Member
    Frankx and Sherlock, thanks for trying to assist. I've been able to enter the Bitcoin transactions every week, but this time it just doesn't work. I've shut down and restarted Quicken a couple times hoping that might resolve the error without success. I thought there might be a maximum security share price limit built into Quicken, but clearly that's not the issue based on your success with entering the transaction. I even made up a fake security and was able to replicate your success. However it's not working for the Bitcoin.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    T_N said:
    Frankx and Sherlock, thanks for trying to assist. I've been able to enter the Bitcoin transactions every week, but this time it just doesn't work. I've shut down and restarted Quicken a couple times hoping that might resolve the error without success. I thought there might be a maximum security share price limit built into Quicken, but clearly that's not the issue based on your success with entering the transaction. I even made up a fake security and was able to replicate your success. However it's not working for the Bitcoin.
    I suggest you examine the price history for the security.  Perhaps there is a bogus future price that triggers when you attempt to add the transaction.