Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Error - "Can't open file. The QDF file is from a later version."

dkvinnie
dkvinnie Member ✭✭
Getting this error when trying to start quicken or restore to a new file:
can't open file the QDF file is from a later version

Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Will need more detail than that if you want some help - screenshot etc,? If you are starting out here, I know you don't have the full set of toolbar commands yet, but look for something like 'attach image'. 
  • dkvinnie
    dkvinnie Member ✭✭
    If i try to open my original file or if I create a new file from a backup I get the error message. Screen shot attached.
  • dkvinnie
    dkvinnie Member ✭✭
    I have not upgraded this happened after the most recent Quicken update. I've downloaded the quicken installer and tied using that to open the original file and a copy made from the most recent backup.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you running: Help -> About Quicken
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dkvinnie
    dkvinnie Member ✭✭
    edited February 16
    Windows Subscription latest download:
    Deluxe 2020 R31.12 Build 27.1.31.12
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In general when that message is posted it is one of two thing.
    Either you are in fact opening a data file created by a newer version of Quicken, or because the data file is corrupted.

Since the first can't be true since you are on the latest version of Quicken, we have to assume it might be the second problem.

Hold down Shift+Ctrl and double click on the Quicken Desktop icon to open it.
    It should open without any file selected.

Then do File -> File Operations -> Validate & Repair, browse for the file and select Validate file for it.

Hopefully that will fix the problem.  If not you might need to find a backup that is older.
    Signature:
  • dkvinnie
    dkvinnie Member ✭✭
    edited February 17
    I ended up calling support the other day and we did a combo of restoring from an older backup and doing a super validate a few time.

After doing that I've got my file opened an working. I now have new problems.
    LOTS of paycheck transactions lots their detail. In one case this doesn't bother me as I'm starting to not see the value of tracking all the deductions like taxes for that paycheck anymore.

(I stopped needing to export to a tax prep program many years ago so that detail is no longer need. Additionally ADP and other paycheck vendors provide a way to directly import your W2 details.)

The other paycheck loosing the detail is worrisome, as I do transfers to HSA and 401K and the simple paycheck looses all that detail. I had to go back to a bunch of transactions and hack them. (Add the deposit to the HSA account with a transfer from the category Earned Income: Salary).

It also happened to several loan payments, the details got lost for escrow and mortgage interest.

My "fixed" seems so messed up since I need to do a bunch of work to fix things - some of which I may not even know what needs to be fixed. The super validate only reported transaction with some of the broken (missing) transfer info.

Since "fixed" is not optimal - I'm wondering if I should go back to an even earlier back up, I'd be missing maybe at most months worth of transactions which I could download again.

If I do this what is the best way to start fresh? I'd like to restore the data to a new file with a different name, so I can differentiate it. The last restore retained the old name.

I've been using quicken for over close to 30 years (ms-dos) and done backups for ever, but never had to deal with restores or a corrupt file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    First off I will warn you that the missing  split/paycheck sounds like a problem that has been reported where syncing to Quicken Mobile/Web causes this.  So if you are doing that you probably want to stop it.

On the restore from backup. It would really hard to make a judgement call on what is better.  I think what I would do is get a month old backup and bring it up to date side by side with your existing one, and see which is better.  And it really should have given you the choice to make a copy or restore over the one that you have open, but there is a sure fire way to get what you want.

All you have to do is copy (using File Explorer) the *.QDF-backup file to where you want it and rename it to what you want, and change .QDF-backup to .QDF.  The .QDF and .QDF-backup files are really the same, the .QDF-backup just tells Quicken to copy/restore the file instead of opening it directly like it will if the type is .QDF.
    Signature:
  • dkvinnie
    dkvinnie Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW That's sounds like a good idea to do the side by side. I'd never know that about the backup files. I guess I've been lucky all this time. Will any of my banks have an issue trying to keep track of what to download if I'm using two separate files? Or is it Quicken that decides how much/ how far back to to grab data to sync?

Not using sync is really no big deal for me. The only time I ever used Quicken on the Web was this week during this issue, and I've never used mobile.
    What's the definitive way to stop the sync.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you asked me the first question about a year ago I would have said, no problem. But of late they seem to be syncing more of the data with the "Quicken cloud account" just for downloading of transactions, at least for Express Web Connect accounts.
    And since there is a unique id in each file and the copy will have the same unique Id it is "possible" for that sync to get "confused".  So  my recommendation these days is, yes you can do side by side like this, but I would try to limit how long you do it.  And for sure NEVER sync to Mobile or Web (note that is one in the same you are syncing the the Quicken cloud data file, and the Mobile and Web are just the GUI interfaces to look at it).

To turn it off:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Mobile & Web -> Sync to OFF.
    Signature: