Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How are transactions categorized when downloading investment data

I'm thinking of upgrading so I can track investments and download from Schwab but I don't see any detailed description of what data is downloaded and how it is entered in Quicken. Where can I get this information?

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is this for Windows or the Mac, they are somewhat different?

For Windows see this:
    https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Invest+for+the+future
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The provider (Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity, etc) provide the Action type as part of the download.
    So, they'll send "Div", ReinvDiv, CGShort, CGLong, etc as part of every downloaded transaction.
    Brokerage and Fund companies, the supported ones, are all "Direct Connect", so when you do the download the transactions are automatically placed in a Holding area at the bottom of the register (unless you take the Not recommended action of turning on "Automatically Input"), for you to review and manually accept either individually or as a group.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Hi @Steve1951,

For investing type accounts, the information that is downloaded includes all transactions that affect the account.  This includes: investment transactions such as purchases and sales of stocks, bonds, cd's, mutual funds, etc., interest and dividend income received or paid, deposits into and withdrawals from accounts, and miscellaneous other transactions such as stock splits, mergers, divestitures, instrument maturities, etc.

This information is entered similarly to how transactions for a checking or savings account is entered - it is first downloaded and then- depending on your settings - may either be automatically "accepted by the application" and appear in the account register, or may need the user to "accept" the transaction before it is entered.

The Quicken "Help menu" (Go to: "Help" >"Quicken Help" > then search by topic name...) can provide additional information.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Steve1951Steve1951 Member
    Thank you all for your responses! Pleasantly surprised to see such quick responses and very helpful. This will help me decide whether or not to upgrade once I review this information.
This discussion has been closed.