Child window size inconsistencies

It's starting to get really annoying that, on one device, Quicken remembers the size of child windows but won't on another device. I've previously reported this problem and see today that the discussion has been closed. So, I bring it up again and, hopefully, you have an answer to the problem.
The problem is; on my laptop PC, when I open a window for say the Bill & Income Reminders, the window opens full screen always and then I have to resize it to my needs. On my desktop PC this does not occur, the window will open to the last size I had set prior to closing the program.

Answers

• davidlambert
    davidlambert Canada Beta Beta
    This is the title of the previous discussion thread.
    Manage Bill and Income Reminders window
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I basically know what's going on.

Freaking has an old accessibility feature that when it thinks the computer is in accessibility mode it maximizes all the pop-up windows.  This was done so that the screen readers have the best chance of reading because they tend to work on what can be seen not where you could scroll.

There are two fundamental problems with this one is that the accessibility modes never worked right in Quicken and everybody that's ever tried to use them has given up on them years ago but they're still there.

The second problem is that Quicken determines this automatically and there isn't any way to tell it not to do it. There are known things that trigger this for instance if you use any of the accessibility modes like high contrast or even if you turn on the the text to speech.
    it is even possible to have say a program that is going to fill in passwords or something like that and they use the accessibility functions to do that that will trigger it.

Years ago when this was much more prevalent there was a suggestion of being able to force it off.  That was never implemented for whatever reason it has gotten a little better so most people don't see it but of course it's still there.  

That accessibility as in screen readers and doing pretty much everything from the keyboard has been a total failure and Quicken and if anything has gotten worse over the years not better they would be much better off just to remove the stupid function it's serving no purpose for anybody and it's causing these kinds of problems.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • davidlambert
    I find nothing in the Quicken settings or preferences for Accessibility so must assume you refer to Windows 'Ease of Access' settings. I don't use any Accessibility or Ease of Access settings on any of my devices, Windows or Android. I don't need them, my hearing and vision are fine. Any other suggestions or specific Accessibility settings to look for? After reviewing the 'Ease of Access' settings on both devices there is only one difference; in 'Narrator' there are more options (and one is selected) for the 'Narrator voice' on the device that does work as expected. There are some other differences but those items were changed in the 'Personalisation' section of Windows Settings, not from the Ease of Access section.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I should have been clearer about that.  Yes Quicken is trying to access if the user is using "Windows "Ease of Access" settings as a "hint" that they need to maximize the popup windows so that the screen reader can read them.

But unfortunately I don't know all the possible things that can trigger this mode.
    I don't remember any of the "personalization" causing this.

I know at one time RoboForm triggered it because they tried to use the "accessibility functions" to fill in passwords, which was to be better than the way they were doing it before.  And that triggered it and the RoboForm developers had to go back to the old way they were doing it.

So the machine that is doing this might have a program on it that is triggering it.

Sorry I can't give any better way to troubleshoot this.
    Signature:
  • alan.178
    alan.178 Member ✭✭
    I too experience the same problem on my Windows PC running Quicken Home & Business. Whenever I open the "Manage Bill & Income Reminders" the child window launches in the position and size where I previously left it, but then immediately expands to full screen. It's incredibly annoying to have to undo this and resize the window before I can work with it. It's especially annoying because I must use my PC and hands-free mode with the assistance of Dragon, so yes I do have accessibility features turned on. Every time the child window pops to full screen, it takes me a couple of minutes of voice commands to resize and reposition that so I can continue working. Quicken needs to fix this!
  • davidlambert
    edited February 20
    The stupid thing is that only two items from the 'Tools' menu are affected, 'Account List' and 'Manage Bill & Income Reminders.' Everything else on this menu works as expected, and as mentioned before, it is only on one device, my laptop. My desktop works just fine.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I can't give you way to fix this I do recommend that you use Help -> Report a problem.  At least that should make them aware of the problem.
    Signature:
  • davidlambert
    Done. More than once.