Why not download balances on Store Cards? Wawa, Subway, Dunkin, etc

Steve Naz
Steve Naz Member
Rather than opening a half-dozen different apps to check store-card balances and transactions, could Quicken do it for us via 1-Step update? These are neither credit cards, nor debit cards, yet they are treated like cash at the specific stores that issue them. Challenge accepted?

[Edited for readability]
Tagged:
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Steve Naz said:
    Rather than opening a half-dozen different apps to check store-card balances and transactions, could Quicken do it for us via 1-Step update? These are neither credit cards, nor debit cards, yet they are treated like cash at the specific stores that issue them., I can see this being valuable to some people
    While I don't use cards of this type, I can see benefits to some customers from this. But, I can't speculate about what Quicken might do.

Some individual financial institutions/businesses might be reluctant to partner with third parties as they wish to keep users in their own ecosystem; hence the card specific Apps. 
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    There's so many restaurants and stores that would make a lot of work for Quicken to write scripts to log into various gift card balance sites, and a lot of daily troubleshooting and complaints when they don't work. It sounds like it's definitely possible just a support nightmare.

And some sites uses captchas to prevent automated gift card balance checking. I've become an expert in adding dice and searching for traffic lights!

Maybe suggest it! https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-enhancements-(windows)

I think there's apps that does try to do this (google app gift card balance), I have no experience with them.
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The companies that you named aren't Financial Institutions, and Q only downloads from FIs.
    Additionally, because they're not FIs, they didn't actually issue those cards.  Rather, they're co-branded on the cards.  Just as my AAdvantage Mastercard is actually issued by Barclay Bank.
    SO, look on the back of those cards and see what BANK issued them.  Then see if that bank will allow you to download transactions for the card they issued.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    @Steve Naz
    Are you talking about loyalty balances or credit card balances? There are plenty of Apps that already do loyalty card balances, such as android 'Stocard'. If the store folds then the balance becomes worthless. These are not strictly a financial balance  or an asset.