Not all Securities Updating [edited]

WJZH
WJZH Member
For many years I have been using Quicken Premier (now updated to R31.12) on a Windows 10 PC. I use Quicken to track investments for two identical Vanguard accounts (each with the same securities). When using One Step Update on both accounts, the first account correctly logs new transactions for all securities but the second account correctly logs new transactions for all but five securities. New transactions for those five securities show up as transactions for a single "unidentified security." Looking at the Quicken Security list for the first account, I find that the listing shows nine digit CUSIP ID for all securities, but for the second account the CUSIP ID field for the five securities in question is blank. Further, if I open the Security Detail View and then open "Edit Security Details" for these five securities, I find the "Matched with online security" line is grey and the associated box is not checked. My guess is that adding the correct CUSIP IDs to the five securities in question would clear the problem but I am unable to do so. Please Help. Thx!

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16
    Hi @WJZH

When you go to your Security List in Quicken - are there two entries for each of those 5 securities that aren't properly updating in Quicken?

Also - You didn't say whether this has always been the case or if it recently happened that the securities no longer update, which is it?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• WJZH
    WJZH Member
    Thank you Frankx for responding.

First , there is only one entry for each of the securities in question - each with the correct symbol but the CUSIP ID fields are blank. Second, transactions for these securities have been logging in as "unidentified security" for some time - I would say at least a year, perhaps more. I have been editing these "unidentified security" transactions one at a time after each OSU to correct the security name but I did not start digging into the root cause of this mapping error until this last OSU.

What field does Quicken look at in the downloaded transaction to associate it with the correct Security in the Security List? I'm guessing it may be the CUSIP ID field but I may be wrong.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @WJZH,

One follow-up question, In your Security List, do you see one or more entries for "unidentified security" and if so, do those entries have data in the CUSIP ID field?  I am trying to determine how/why the 5 securities can download correctly in one of your accounts but not in the other.

Thanks.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• WJZH
    WJZH Member
    There is only one "unidentified security" entry in the Security List with nothing in the ticker symbol field, "000000000" CUSIP ID, "Bond" type, and "Unclassified" asset class.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @WJZH,

So, you have me baffled.  Based on my understanding of the way that Quicken updates security prices, if you have an "identical security" in two accounts, the price updates will update that identical security in each account, or if there is a problem, it will not update either security.  I have never seen a situation that you are describing, which is why I asked the question bout whether your Security List has two entries for those five securities.

The only thing I can suggest would be for you to edit ALL the transactions - involving those 5 securities - in the account holding the 5 securities that do not update, for each transaction involving those 5 securities (i.e. buys, sells and dividend reinvestments).

Before you do that, first backup your data file.  Next - go into your Security List and edit each of the 5 "correct" securities (the ones with the CUSIP numbers) - to CAPITALIZE their names.  This will allow you to know that these are the "valid" securities.  Then, when you edit the transactions, you will be editing only the "Security name" field - first deleting whatever is currently there and - without closing the transaction window - then making sure that you select the CAPITALIZED security name before you click "Enter/Done".

When you completed these steps, you should no longer get the "unidentified security" error.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your description of the securities details (greyed out online security and no cusp id) is consistent with the case where Qucken securities are named differently but in the real world they  lare the same.  I have that myself.  However, what happens when I download is that the security is always downloaded as the one that is checked as being matched to online security.  I then edit it to being what I know it should be. 
     Have you tried just editing the unidentified ones to what is correct?
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • I have had a similar problem for a long time. this week it happened again in my fidelity 401k account with a new security I have never owned. Quicken needs to let us edit the CUSIP.

Has any ever tried to call tech support? I just have the time to be on the phone with them for hours.
  • WJZH
    WJZH Member
    Thank you all for your input.

Frankx - to summarize the answers your questions:
    1 - There is only one entry in the Security List for the securities in question.
    2 - This update problem was not there initially but I cannot pinpoint exactly
    when it appeared except to say it has been present for well over a year.
    3 - There is only one "Unidentified Security" entry in the Security List with
    nothing in the ticker symbol field, "000000000" CUSIP ID, "Bond" type, and
    "Unclassified" asset class.
    Bob_L - I have edited the downloaded "unidentified security" transactions for these five securities to correct the Security Name and Ticker but the next time I download new transactions they are associated with "Unidentified Security" again.
    ShredderBuilder - I have not contacted Quicken Tech Support.

To restate the problem, I have are two Quicken files (A and B) that I load one at a time into the same Quicken program on my PC and then update the account(s) in each file by downloading new transactions from two separate brokerage accounts (A' and B') that are held by the same Vendor. Each brokerage account contains the same securities with identical quantities of shares for each security and, at the end of each month, each brokerage account contains identical (i.e. - Date, Security Name, # Shares, Share Price, $ Invested, Action, etc.) new transactions. I update the Quicken files to downloaded the new transactions from each brokerage account but, when they are recorded into each Quicken file, the first (A) associates ALL the new transactions with the correct security but the second (B) associates the new transactions for the five securities in question with "unidentified security" and associates the remaining new transactions with the correct security. This mapping error for Quicken file B continues during subsequent updates even after the transactions for the prior update(s) are corrected.

Clearly there must be something about Quicken file B that causes it to incorrectly map these five securities but I lack a clear understanding of how newly downloaded transactions are correctly associated with existing securities.

Looking at the Security list for Quicken file A, I found that the listing shows nine digit CUSIP ID for all securities, but for the Quicken file B the CUSIP ID field for the five securities in question is blank. Further, if I open the 'Security Detail View"' and then open "Edit Security Details" for these five securities in file B, I found the "Matched with online security" line is grey and the associated box is not checked. It appeared that adding the correct CUSIP IDs to the five securities in question and matching the CUSIP ID with the correct security would clear the problem but I have been unable to do so.

I turned to community.quicken.com for help and you all have been kind enough to consider the problem and make suggestions. Unfortunately, following your suggestions and all other work-arounds I tried did not work as the latest updates for February 28 do not correct the mapping error so I have decided to change my approach.

I only use these Quicken files to track investments so, rather than spend more of my time (and yours) to correct the problem(s) in the existing Quicken file B, I have decided to start fresh and created a new file B2 and downloaded all the transactions from the brokerage account Vendor. The Security list and Security details now appear to mirror file A's but I won't know for sure if this works until after I update the files at the end of this month. Wish me luck!

Thanks again for your help!
This discussion has been closed.