I sold all my shares in Ford in 2018. Now, portfolio view shows .000002 shares.

The security detail view correctly shows no shares. I have run file operations > validate and repair with no result. Please see the attached image with the detail view overlaid on the portfolio view. How can I get these to give the same answer? Thank you!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With R27.20, Quicken improved the precision of calculated holdings to 6 decimal places.  I suggest you edit the last sale transaction of the impacted securities and check Sell all shares in this account.
  • Bob Schenot
    Bob Schenot Member ✭✭
    I did exactly that, and I now have:

-1,568.99 shares in the security detail view and the portfolio view stayed the same. I think Quicken has a serious bug here. Thanks for your response....
    Q.jpg 51.6K
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Can you show us that LAST Ford transaction?  Because, I'm guessing that you actually changed the next to last Ford sale to Sell All ... and then you had another sale transaction after that one.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16
    I did exactly that, and I now have:

-1,568.99 shares in the security detail view and the portfolio view stayed the same. I think Quicken has a serious bug here. Thanks for your response....
    I suspect you may have a placeholder transaction to resolve. 

To be able to view the placeholder in the investment account, you should check Show hidden transactions preference: select Edit > Preferences...

• Bob Schenot
    Bob Schenot Member ✭✭
    Show hidden transactions was already checked, so that isn't it.

I started my career as a programmer for PERT/CPM systems in the early '70's. Finished as a senior IT manager for Honeywell, working on their SAP ERP system. One thing I do know is that systems should be internally consistent. Two different answers to the same question is a bad place to be, and that is what Quicken is doing here. This is why I think it is both bad design and a bug.

I suspect that you are right that it is a function of the new release, since I would have noticed .000002 shares of Ford in my portfolio. I know that I can revert to an earlier version of the data, but if the release is the root cause, that won't help.

I'm going to revert to a version of the data from a couple of days ago, just to flush out anything I did trying to correct the problem. (.000002 shares is a better answer than -1,568.99 in any case). But with a negative 1500+ shares at $11.35, how come the negative $17,808 isn't showing up in either the portfolio view or my net worth?
  • Bob Schenot
    Bob Schenot Member ✭✭
    NotACPA: transaction history is pasted here. Thanks to both of you for your help.....
    Q.jpg 141.3K
  • Bob Schenot
    Bob Schenot Member ✭✭
    I reverted to an earlier version of the data (14 Feb), and we're back to .000002 shares in the portfolio view and 0 in the security view. It appears to be a problem with the release. Lacking any other solution, I've opted to hide Ford in the portfolio view (hoping it doesn't bite me later).
  • NotACPA
    What are all of those transactions with an Action of CASH?
    And how did you produce that graphic?  I'd like to mimic your action so I can see same in my accounts.
  • Bob Schenot
    Bob Schenot Member ✭✭
    This is a Schwab investment account with a checking / bill paying feature. Quicken wants you to split what is a single account for Schwab into a brokerage and a linked cash account. There is never any cash in the brokerage account. I wish I hadn't done it; it introduces a lot of complexity, especially in reconciliation. In any case, when you sell a security, the sale and change in stock position shows in the Quicken brokerage account, then there is an automatic cash transfer into the Quicken linked cash account. That's what the "cash" is.

How I did it is to run a search or report, do a screen shot, copy to Paint, edit, & save as a .jpg.

You know, for what we're paying, you'd think that some support from Quicken would be included in the package ......
  • NotACPA
    Then why do all of those Cash transactions have a memo of Ford?  Makes the display very confusing.
    Also, can you create a graphic that shows ONLY transactions in Ford stock ... including the number of shs in the transaction and the SHS balance?