How to reconcile a mutual fund?

I'm having trouble reconciling mutual funds. I have data back to 2009, but statements only go back to 2011. I thought that I could just use the 2011 statement and set the opening balance to 0. That has worked for bank and credit card statements. When I could not get that to work, I tried to just reconcile 2009 against itself. That is, set the opening balance to 0, the ending balance to the balance shown for 12/31/2009. That comes up wrong. How the heck is Quicken coming up with a "Cleared balance" of 300.257 instead of the Statement balance of 157.337. Adding up all the selected entrees comes to 157.337 as expected. There are no other entries in the register that are marked reconciled. Any ideas?
Tagged:

Comments

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you have any shares of that fund before 2009?  Have you checked for hidden placeholders?  Do that via Preferences, investment transactions, show hidden transactions.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • Andy Howell
    Andy Howell Member ✭✭
    > @Bob_L said:
    > Did you have any shares of that fund before 2009?  Have you checked for hidden placeholders?  Do that via Preferences, investment transactions, show hidden transactions.

No shares before 2009. I turned on the hidden transactions. No change. No placeholders.

I tried the simplest possible reconcile, focusing on the very first transaction in the register. I set the statement date to the day after that entry, and the ending balance to be the same as the first entry. That still comes out wrong. I then unselected the one entry under "increases". It showed a cleared balance higher than the statement ending balance! Clearly something is not right. The cleared balance should be zero, correct? Am I misunderstanding how reconcile works?

I suppose its not really required to reconcile. All six of the fund account balances agree with Capital Group's web login. However I have serious concerns about to reliability and accuracy of Quicken.

Anything else I can check?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried validating your file?  Do that from File, file operations, validate.
  • Andy Howell
    Andy Howell Member ✭✭
    Just tried that. It came up with a couple errors in two unrelated accounts. Other than that it was fine.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of increases and decreases shown in the dialog tells me that the process counts all cleared or reconciled transactions, not just back to the date you picked.
This discussion has been closed.