SQL Server as back end

Most likely has been suggested before, but would like to make again in that case

This would simplify
using quicken over the network
Backing up the files - as backups could be created automatically via SQL Server
having your database be in the cloud for added safety
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    AND it would require a complete re-write of Quicken to accomplish this. 
    I wish that I could vote NO to this idea.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Robert_S77 have you ever had to administrate a Windows SQL Server?

I integrated the local version into a program that is using Access for the databases to see about performance increases and such.  And it is really a completely different environment from Access or like what Quicken is using.  Once you put the word "server" into this mix you are talking about some really heavy administrator activities that have to go with it to keep it working right.  I was only dealing with the local version and it was very difficult, and I'm a software developer with 46 years of experience.

The only benefit I see to a "server" would be in fact if your users need multiple users or network access as the "normal practice".  Meaning that "Quicken Desktop" data file would have to be a thing of the past and Quicken Inc would have to be running the "server".  Not something I think most Quicken users want.

Note that goes even for the "local version". As in the whole point is there is a "server" that holds accesses the database(s), the clients (which would be Quicken in this case) have no direct access to the databases, they make calls to the server to get things done.

Gone is where you can just copy a backup of the Quicken Desktop data file from where you might have stored it, and open it.

There are other "client based" database like SQLite (which Quicken Mac is using) that are more up to date than what is in Quicken Windows, but again the main reason for using them over a server based ones is to have a "small/self contained" database for a single application that requires none of the administrator overhead that a server based database requires.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/