Maximum number of datasets exceeded

I've been using quicken for over twenty five years. When am I suddenly getting this error?

Ticket 8349511

Answers

• Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • alex118
    alex118 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I've used Quicken for over twenty five years. This issue never happened before. What changed? How does Quicken fix this issue?
  • alex118
    alex118 Member ✭✭
    Changing the extension of the file name is a work around. What changed on the Quicken server?
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 18
    I believe from reading other's posts, that any time you do a restore, quicken creates a new dataset for that version of the file. I assume there's a limit how many can exist on the server. 

If you have two computers, and instead of backup to a thumb drive & restoring on the second computer, just copy the .qdf file in windows explorer instead to move the file back and forth.

Glad its fixed though!

I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • alex118
    alex118 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your response. I've been sharing backup files with two computers for more than a year. This issue recently developed. Any representative from Quicken, can you provide an answer?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    This is all due to change in the background that Quicken has implemented and the user has no direct control over it since it involves the Quicken Cloud Account that keeps track of your subscription (but no financial data unless you use QMobile/Q-Web).
    Rather than using Backup/Restore to move the data file, it is now suggested that you use a Windows Explorer copy to move the data file which gets around the dataset exceeded problem popping up.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • alex118
    alex118 Member ✭✭
    Thank you your response splasher. So if I understand your method, I have to save my recently created qdf file and share that with my other computer. And use that new qdf file , copy it to to my house server with a name as qdf_backup_mmddyy as an example. This way Quicken server only knows about one qdf file. Is my understanding correct?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but I would rename the file, there is no reason for it to have the "_backup_mmddyy" in the file's name.  I'd rename it using Windows Explorer, double click on it to start Quicken and reset the recent file list entry to the new name.
    Then you just move the file back and forth between the computers using your network or a thumbdrive (your choice). 
    Personally, I named mine "current.qdf" to keep it separate from the test files that I might make.
  • alex118
    alex118 Member ✭✭
    Thank you splasher. Quicken - remove the backup feature on Quicken since it doesn't work anymore!!!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    alex118 said:
    Thank you splasher. Quicken - remove the backup feature on Quicken since it doesn't work anymore!!!
    Oh, it works, they just have something in the record keeping background that has a finite limit that can't be released without tech support's involvement.  Hopefully they will change how they are doing it because users have been advised for a long time the best way to move a file between computers was a backup/restore and that isn't the case with the current system.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not the BACKUP process that is causing the problem, it is the RESTORE action. 

If used 'as intended' (meaning infrequently), the number of new datasets created by restores should not (according to the programmers) bump into the limits. 

Using restores as a daily or more frequent tool to move the data file between computers is when the limit is being reached by some unidentified number of users. 

At least that is what my readings have led me to believe.     
  • alex118
    alex118 Member ✭✭
    edited February 18
    Thank you for your response q_lurker. I've been a Quicken user for over twenty five years. This issue or "new feature" has just started happening. Someone or some group in Quicken [removed - language] and didn't properly realize this would happen. Quicken, if you're listening, fix this issue! This has never happened before. You guys definitely broke something. If there was an alternative to Quicken, I'd certainly consider changing applications.
This discussion has been closed.