Why are imported transactions being renamed when there is no renaming rule? (Q Mac)

MaconTime
MaconTime Member ✭✭
I'm having a problem with two transactions constantly being renamed when I have no rule to rename.
- One transaction shows on the bank record as "Cypress of Hilton", the other is "BURKE'S MAIN STREET"
- When downloaded, both of these go into the register as "Hilton" and category "Travel"

These are both on Hilton Head Island. It's like Quicken looks at the Payee, see's Hilton and makes an assumption. I do not have "Hilton" as a payee and I do not have any rules with "Hilton" in it.

On another issue, it drives me crazy that when I go to rename these to what they should be, Quicken's default is to rename all the transactions in my register. Since I have two different things with the same wrong name, it would rename them all. That should not be the default but an option.

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, MaconTime:

Yes, there is some renaming that can occur before the transactions get downloaded to your desktop. The data provider for Quicken looks at how the majority of people rename and categorize things, and that is what you get. AI isn't always the best thing.

You can turn this off in Preferences:Connected Services under the "Automatically improve the Quality. . . ", but you will then get payees as is, and the transactions will be uncategorized outside of your renaming rules you setup. 

As for the renaming of transactions: you can have it rename just one time (don't select the checkbox), or you can (select checkbox) and have it rename only future transactions, or all existing (which it sounds like you have it set for now). When you rename, notice the dropdown that appears, and you can click on that:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 20 Accepted Answer
    You could turn off the auto-renaming and auto-categorization in Quicken Preferences > Connected Services by unchecking "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" -- but turning that off might have other consequences if you benefit from auto-renaming and auto-categorization for other transactions.

A better approach might be to create a renaming rule for these Payees. That should pre-empt Quicken's attempt to "improve" your Payee name. Create a renaming rule:
       If Statement Name contains [Cyprus] [of] [Hilton]
       Do Not Rename
    or 
       Set Payee name to Cyprus of Hilton Head

Note that to do the latter, you will first have to manually create a Payee called "Cyprus of Hilton Head" before you can create the renaming rule.

As for your other issue of renaming existing transactions, when you edit the Payee name in a register, a blue tab pops up above the Payee field, with a checkbox asking if you want to rename existing transactions for the same Payee to the new Payee name.

As long as that checkbox is unchecked, the change will only affect the one Payee you are editing.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, MaconTime:

Yes, there is some renaming that can occur before the transactions get downloaded to your desktop. The data provider for Quicken looks at how the majority of people rename and categorize things, and that is what you get. AI isn't always the best thing.

You can turn this off in Preferences:Connected Services under the "Automatically improve the Quality. . . ", but you will then get payees as is, and the transactions will be uncategorized outside of your renaming rules you setup. 

As for the renaming of transactions: you can have it rename just one time (don't select the checkbox), or you can (select checkbox) and have it rename only future transactions, or all existing (which it sounds like you have it set for now). When you rename, notice the dropdown that appears, and you can click on that:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 20 Accepted Answer
    You could turn off the auto-renaming and auto-categorization in Quicken Preferences > Connected Services by unchecking "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" -- but turning that off might have other consequences if you benefit from auto-renaming and auto-categorization for other transactions.

A better approach might be to create a renaming rule for these Payees. That should pre-empt Quicken's attempt to "improve" your Payee name. Create a renaming rule:
       Do Not Rename
    or 
       Set Payee name to Cyprus of Hilton Head

Note that to do the latter, you will first have to manually create a Payee called "Cyprus of Hilton Head" before you can create the renaming rule.

As for your other issue of renaming existing transactions, when you edit the Payee name in a register, a blue tab pops up above the Payee field, with a checkbox asking if you want to rename existing transactions for the same Payee to the new Payee name.

As long as that checkbox is unchecked, the change will only affect the one Payee you are editing.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MaconTime
    MaconTime Member ✭✭
    edited February 20
    Thank you. That should help a lot. I turned off letting Quicken "improve the quality". As for the renaming all transactions, I still think the preferred default would be NOT to rename alll transactions. i.e. If I had 100 previous transactions, renaming one now should not assume that I'm just now catching it and the default being to rename the previous 100. Sometimes software developers think we're all idiots and try to help too much.