Symbol vs Stock Description

Quicken appears to me to be very "Stock Description" oriented. Everywhere outside of Quicken uses the symbol. To me it makes sense to key things based on the symbol. However, there may be a reason to use the Description. Would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand your concern.  It's not like Quicken doesn't use the symbol. For stocks you need to have the symbol to get the daily prices.  Also, in all of the investment views you can add the ticket symbol if they are not already there.  Yes, they may list the "description" first but I am absolutely fine with that as it is easier to read than having to know all of the ticker symbols (particularly if you are talking about mutual funds where there are many similar symbols)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is also some history to this.  QIF imports import security transactions by the description, not the symbol.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nick0131 Seems to me your viewpoint is trader or investor-centric.  Users who deal mostly in mutual funds, 401ks, IRAs, and take a buy-and-hold attitude (rightly or wrongly) are more name based (as I see it).  Those with larger, more diverse portfolios may be more ticker based.  I think historically, Quicken's user-base is more of the former than the latter, though I have absolutely no data to support that thought.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nick0131 for securities where I wanted the ticker available for ease-of-use, I prepended the ticker to the beginning of the security description.

For example, the security description for VITFX is:
    VITFX Vanguard Target 2035 Instl

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list