Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

When duplicating an transaction set date to current date (Q Mac)

mlooss
mlooss Member
I fairly often duplicate a transaction and it would be great if the date in the new duplicated transaction would be set to today, and highlighting this filed by default to edit it would also speed up data entry.
Tagged:
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I can see that this might be useful. I can also see that some users might like it better the way it is. One question: are you aware that when in the date field, you can hit the letter T to change the date to today? This is much quicker than editing the date month, day and year.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As I've been building up /curating/tuning the QuickFill rules in my account, I've used "Duplicate" more often than in the past, and I agree that I wish the duplicated transaction would default to today's date rather than the date of the original. I usually have to look over at the CLR column to be sure I'm about to edit the newly-duplicated transaction.

That said, as RickO notes, it's pretty easy to change the date to today; it's just a few extra clicks I'd prefer to avoid if I could. And once I have all my recurring Payees with proper QuickFill rules, I think it will be pretty infrequent that I'll need to Duplicate transactions going forward.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mlooss
    mlooss Member
    When it comes to data entry efficiency, every additional click is just slowing me down. Quicken is not really very responsive, I find it rather slow, compared to Moneydance what I used before (I have a Mac mini 2018 Core i7 with 64GB of RAM). Yes, I am familiar with the shortcut T, but now I have to click into the date field, and press T. Many times the need to duplicate a transaction, is an older one, where I have to scroll down the register to find it. Having today's date automatically entered places the transaction on the top of the register. I feel when I duplicate a transaction, it should default to today's date while still allow you to edit the date if needed.
    Here is another reason that today's date makes much more sense for most of the time. I set up all my bills, but I many times end up paying the bill earlier, and when I mark a scheduled transaction in the register as paid, I now have to change the date to today.
    Currently to change to today's date requires two clicks on the date field, then type T followed by ENTER/RETURN to save the transaction.
  • jacobs
    @mlooss  In your post above, you introduced marking a scheduled transaction as paid, and I think that's completely different than duplicating a transaction. When I mark a scheduled transaction paid, I would definitely not want it to set the date to today. I have scheduled transactions -- such as paychecks and monthly credit card charges -- that I might verify and mark paid once or twice a week; I'm rarely marking them paid on the actual date they were paid. So I wouldn't want Quicken to change the date to today when I mark them paid. I feel this is unlike duplicating a transaction, where almost 100% of the time I want a different date than the original.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that Quicken Mac has a "duplicate" feature at all.  But then I find it strange that from what I have read Quicken Mac only has a drag and drop to move transactions from one account to another (no way to "copy").

In other words in Quicken Windows you get "Copy/Cut/Paste" which are the traditional ways to do all of these operations.  And as such Copy and Paste to "the current date" may make sense in some cases, but not all.  And as such if it was implemented in that context there would really need to be an option or two different operations/menu items.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    @Chris_QPW  Duplicating a transaction is helpful if there's no QuickFill rule for the Payee; go back and find an old transaction, duplicate it, put the current date on it and otherwise modify if needed. I use this at times to make sure I'm consistently using the same category, and consistently recording things in the same way in the memo field. But when I do so now, I'm creating and tweaking a QuickFill rule for the Payee, so I won't need to go back to find an old transaction for that Payee again. But some users find QuickFill rules complicate, or don't have the patience to curate them to fit their needs, or don't want them most of the time -- and those users probably make use of Duplicate much more often.

I think duplicating a transaction makes more sense than copying and pasting a transaction. What am I pasting into? Command-D for Duplicate is nearly as universal in Mac applications and cut/copy/paste. ;)

As for moving between accounts, I can't think of an easier way to do it than Quicken Mac's drag and drop. The only downside is that it's not inherently intuitive to users old older Quicken software, who often look for a menu command to move a transaction. Once users understand transactions -- a single one or any grouping of them -- can be moved by simply selecting and dropping onto another account, I think everyone appreciates the simplicity; I haven't seen any complaints about moving transactions. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If duplicate is something that is common in the Mac world then I think it fits, and I agree that it should be the current date.  I wasn't criticizing it, just found it "interesting" coming from the Windows side.

In fact duplicate would be that "different operation/menu" I mentioned.

I do have one use case I do very often where it might better that what I do now.  When my wife gets a bonus I have to enter another paycheck that has the same fields and such.  I think at one time I did try copy and past, but found that to be very cumbersome.   What I do these days is just edit the next instance of the paycheck reminder so the next date is today, and then enter that changing as needed.

And yes just so you know I do like the idea of drag an drop for moving transactions to other accounts, I just think it should also have copy.  In the Windows world if I drag and drop with a right click when I release it, it will give me a menu of move/copy/cancel  (the default is decided by the context of the move).  If in the Mac world you can't count on the right mouse button being there then something like holding down the Command key could do the same.

BTW the usability of move in Quicken Windows stinks, and no matter how long people have been complaining about it they have yet to change it.  It is so bad we have to have FAQ for people on it to explain how to workaround it when needed.  The problem is that if the transactions are marked reconciled, Quicken will ask on every single transaction if the user is sure.  So the workaround is to do a copy instead and then go back and delete the transactions.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/