Why does the Quicken Sync function continue to mess up my entries and data I have entered?

I had a problem with downloading data from my credit union yesterday. I disabled the connection and then re-created the connection. Apparently when you do this, Quicken sets up Sync automatically. When I ran the updates for the credit union data, the Sync function ran and messed up hundreds of lines of data. It changed what account was used (like from a bank account to a credit card account), it changed my entries for my paychecks (took out all of my detailed entries that broke out the taxes and investment detail and entered everything under the Salary category). My balances were all off for most of my accounts, and I am still working on correcting the problems caused by the Sync function. And this is not the first time this has happened. I turn off the function, but the it somehow turns itself back on. I have been so disappointed with Quicken functionality and updates since they broke off from Intuit.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4
    Hello @TempCommUser

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

One thing that may cause such adverse sync behavior is the location of the data file. Do you store the active data file in a cloud or network drive?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Hi Tyka,
    Thank you for your reply.

I store my activated data file on my laptop where Quicken is loaded. It is under Windows (C:) > Users > [folder] > Documents > Quicken.
    I am using Quicken 2020, R31.20, 27.1.31.20
  • leomoore
    leomoore Member ✭✭
    I had a similar problem in early February. Except I have no explanation for what triggered it. I downloaded late one evening and reconciled my primary chequeing account. It showed a small out-of-balance, which seems to occur when sometimes when I download late because the balance on the account includes a transaction or two that is still posting. The next day, I downloaded several hours earlier. This time, my accounts were out-of-balance by thousands of dollars and my chequeing accounts downloaded random transactions reconciled in 2020. Random pay cheques still showed the amount, but all the detail was gone. Payments to credit cards seemed to vanish from the chequeing register but not necessarily from the credit card. It was a mess. The pay cheques were the clincher for me. I restored my backup from two days earlier only to discover it was still messed up. I ended up restoring from a backup that was nearly two weeks old. It was still simpler than trying to manually repair the data.

I use to try using the mobile app to enter transactions whilst traveling so I didn't have to keep up with receipts, but after some spectacular cockups from synching, I abandoned the app a couple of years ago. Two words that give me a spark of worry in the pit of my stomach are Quicken and Synchronisation. Since Quicken essentially forces us to use their cloud, I am particularly careful about backing up my file, now. Maybe, I should simplify my finances and give up on Quicken after nearly twenty-five years.
  • leomoore
    leomoore Member ✭✭
    When I opened Quicken, a short time ago, it did an update of R31.20 to build 27.1.31.20. After it finished, the box to open Quicken was ticked when I clicked Next. It started to open Quicken before crashing, which is not at all unusual so I used my usual method of Shif+Ctrl to open the app followed by opening the file. I downloaded transactions and it made me nervous by doing a sync with Quicken Cloud. After it finally finished (nearly 20 minutes), I downloaded transactions and reconciled my primary chequeing account. It was out-of-balance by $9.99. I saw that a transaction from 2018 for $9.99 showed as unreconciled, which should be not possible. I marked the transaction, which cleared the out-of-balance. Now, I my other chequeing account is showing that a split deposit from my pay cheque of a week ago is unreconciled, again, that should not have been possible, and it appears twice in my register as well as downloaded, again. I used Ctrl+Shift+X to go to the matching transfer. The first entry said the matching transfer no longer existed. The second entry took me to the pay cheque, but all the detail was gone. Taxes, insurance, splits to my other chequeing account and savings accounts were all gone. I backed up my file the last time I used Quicken, but this is just horrible. Maybe cutting my ties to the Cloud and just doing manual updates and reconciliation is better than this ongoing nightmare.