Brent Member ✭✭
I have used Quicken for many years and have a pretty large file:

91 accounts
708 categories
42 memorized Payees
336/336 Securities Max ref
49767 Transactions
2,097,151K available and total memory

I am using Quicken-Premier 2020 Version R31.20 Build 27.1.31.20 with membership valid until 8/12/2021. My computer is fairly powerful - Dell Latitude 5285, 7th Gen Core i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD

I am having performance issues. Accepting downloaded transactions usually takes up to10 seconds per transaction once I click "Accept" or the enter icon.

Switching from one account to another causes the quicken screen to jump around and takes about ten seconds as well.

I did a video screen capture of this behavior here:

In my search for a solution I found this thread:
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871857/quicken-is-very-slow-becoming-impossible-to-use

Most of the recommendations in this thread I had already done except for archiving investment transactions.

I do not have automatic transaction entry turned on
I have archived all investment transactions for securities with zero balance.
My Quicken File resides in a folder that is not monitored or synced with any cloud service
Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months is set to 3 months
I have deleted all bills and reminders and performed the File-Copy method
I have validated the file several times.
I have super-validated the file.
Renamed my very large (64MB) qw.log file located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Log
Bills & Income time frame selector set to "Due in 7 Days"

Is there anything else I can try or am I just stuck with slow performance?

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @MaryWG01

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response. 

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps. 

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further. 

Thank you, 
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am assuming that you have validated your data file and that it is ok.

Your issue may be windows related.  I have the same version as you do, my file is larger (182.5 Mb) and I do not experience any lag times at all.  Check and see if your video driver(s) are up to date.  Also check your windows updates.  I am currently on version 20H2, 19042.804.  I do not have the number off accounts that you do but I have more transactions.  Do you store any attachments in Quicken?

Run task manager (ctl-alt-del) to see what programs are running.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Brent

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and for posting such thorough details.

There are a few additional steps outlined in the support article here that I did not see mention of above. Hopefully, they may do the trick.

If not, I would next recommend creating a test file. A new file can be created under File > New Quicken File.

If there are also performance issues in this new empty file, this could point to an issue with the application itself or something on the computer. However, if the file performance and speed improve, this points to the issue being isolated to the file itself.

I hope this helps, please let me know the results of the test file!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, viewing the video and, compared to my computer, I didn't see any marked slowness in accepting a single downloaded transaction. A second or two seems normal to me.
    706 categories
    Do you really need that many categories or could you perhaps prune the tree a little?
    How many nested subcategory levels down do you go? 1, 2, 3, ... 16?
    Rollup from a subcategory level to parent levels all the way up to the top income or expense total can consume some time, to calculate the numbers and store them in the database.
    How many named budget tables do you have? It's my understanding that Quicken updates all budget tables on file, whether used or not, with every transaction you enter. If you have several unused budget tables, consider deleting all but the current budget table for this year.
  • tr66zbxp
    tr66zbxp Member ✭✭
    edited March 10
    I have this exact problem which led me to try file copy and run into other problems. Has there been any update on this? This was a horrible problem on my desktop, I moved to my laptop where it is better but still very slow. Does not happen with an empty file so something is wrong with my file. But I can't even prune copy isn't removing anything or even shrinking my 223 MB file.

Just as a note my hourglass after entering a transaction is around 8-10 seconds. Accepting transactions takes forever.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tr66zbxp

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

Were you able to perform any of the steps outlined in the above post? You mention that you moved the data file over to a laptop. Do you have the file stored in a cloud drive or network drive to access the file from more than one location?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • MaryWG01
    MaryWG01 Member
    This has been a terrible problem for me. I haven't been able to successfully use my QuickBooks file for over a month now.

I switched the file to another computer and same problem.

Any other suggestions other than those here?
  • MaryWG01
    MaryWG01 Member
    **Quicken
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @MaryWG01

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response. 

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps. 

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further. 

Thank you, 
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~