Why must I get Premium to use bill pay?

I don't need all the features of Premium, but like the check writing feature (bill pay). I currently subscribe to Deluxe, but even that is more than I really need. Why must I pay an additional $26/year to use bill pay, when I can buy a check writing program that gives me the features of Starter PLUS check writing for a 1 time purchase of $40.? I am reconsidering my Quicken subscription.

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26 Accepted Answer
    Probably the check writing program lets you print paper checks. You can do that with any edition of Quicken.

Quicken Bill Pay lets you pay bills electronically, skipping the paper checks.

Also you can access some banks' electronic bill pay directly through Quicken, without using Quicken bill pay. The bank may charge a fee for this.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony Robinson said: I don't need all the features of Premium, but like the check writing feature (bill pay).
    Just to echo @Jim_Harman - you can also use your own local bank account for bill payment.
    What bank do you use ?
    Many offer their own online bill payment feature, but some may charge for it.
    I happen to use Chase - and Quicken interfaces directly with that feature.  I can have Quicken "send" the payment request when I perform the Quicken One Step Update - and then Chase will "send" the payment directly to the payee or company.
    Also as mentioned - you can print local paper checks directly from Quicken.  And yes, you would need to purchase some pre-printed full page checks to use in your printer.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the check writing program lets you print paper checks. You can do that with any edition of Quicken.

Quicken Bill Pay lets you pay bills electronically, skipping the paper checks.

Also you can access some banks' electronic bill pay directly through Quicken, without using Quicken bill pay. The bank may charge a fee for this.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tony Robinson
    Tony Robinson Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I was unaware. How do I write checks with Quicken (I assume preprinted checks are required)?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Thanks, I was unaware. How do I write checks with Quicken (I assume preprinted checks are required)?

Look in Q Help (F1).  There's a full explanation there of how to have Q print checks, and the requirements FOR that check stock.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony Robinson said: I don't need all the features of Premium, but like the check writing feature (bill pay).
    Just to echo @Jim_Harman - you can also use your own local bank account for bill payment.
    What bank do you use ?
    Many offer their own online bill payment feature, but some may charge for it.
    I happen to use Chase - and Quicken interfaces directly with that feature.  I can have Quicken "send" the payment request when I perform the Quicken One Step Update - and then Chase will "send" the payment directly to the payee or company.
    Also as mentioned - you can print local paper checks directly from Quicken.  And yes, you would need to purchase some pre-printed full page checks to use in your printer.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10